The Wiz is a passive item added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Isaac fires tears from both eyes at the same time.
- Isaac's tears are fired diagonally outwards, similar to the effect of the R U a Wizard? pill.
- Isaac's tears travel above all obstacles.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The maximum amount of tears per volley that can be reached by combining and/or duplicating 20/20, The Inner Eye, Mutant Spider and The Wiz is 16, or 20 with Keeper.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- Diplopia: Picking up a second The Wiz will make Isaac fire 4 tears in a wider diagonal layout.
- Technology Zero: Electricity arcs between both tears instantly, providing incredible crowd control.
- Technology Zero + Piercing: Tears cannot be stopped by enemies, resulting in an unstoppable array of electricity between tears.
- Tractor Beam: Both tears will follow the beam, making it easier to hit enemies with them, effectively like 20/20 with Spectral tears.
- The Wiz is superior to 20/20 with Tractor Beam, due to having no damage penalty.
- Tractor Beam + Mom's Knife: Both knives ignore the path of the beam and remain flying diagonally.
- Eye of the Occult: Both tears shoot much closer together and can be controlled creating for a better double shot similar to the effect that tractor beam would grant, but the tears can be controlled.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Analog Stick: Will make one tear go forwards and the other tear will fire at a 90-degree angle to the other tear.
- Azazel: Azazel fires two short diagonal Brimstone beams in the chosen direction (Same with Tainted Azazel).
- Brimstone beams remain diagonal even if you have Tractor beam
- Cain: Makes Cain fire in the two diagonal directions instead of just the right eye one as the R U a Wizard? pill does.
- Conjoined: Fires double tears in both directions, but removes the center tear.
- Epic Fetus: The crosshair is controlled diagonally as if rotated 45 degrees clockwise from usual (i.e.: the up arrow will move it in a northeast direction), and two missiles are fired, similar to the effect of 20/20. The crosshair can be moved in the cardinal directions by pressing two arrow keys at once (e.g.: pressing the up and right arrows will move the crosshair right).
- Homing tears: Tears are more likely to home in on enemies if enemies are coming towards Isaac diagonally. Otherwise, it only minorly improves accuracy.
- The Ludovico Technique: Small tear orbits main tear. Tear controls rotated 45 degrees clockwise - holding up makes it move northeast and so on.
- Marked: Fires two shots aimed diagonally from the mark.
- Monstro's Lung: 7-8 tears are fired at each diagonal direction instead of a full burst.
- R U a Wizard? pill: Makes the player shoot forward with a normal fire rate and 90 degrees outwards with half fire rate.
- Sad Bombs: Does not affect the number of tears when bombs explode.
- Varicose Veins: No effect on number of tears when taking damage.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item is possibly a reference to Nethack, where an unidentified "conical hat" can be either a cornuthaum (i.e. a "wizard hat") or a cursed dunce cap. Equipping the conical hat will identify it, but if it's a cursed dunce cap it will lower your intelligence and be difficult to remove. The Wiz has the word "DUNCE" printed in the image but is officially named after wizardry. This confusion alludes to the ambiguous identity of the conical hat.
- This item shares its name with a 1978 musical based on The Wizard Of Oz.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|