The Nail is an unlockable activated item.
- On use:
- Gives one Soul Heart, +0.7 damage, -0.18 speed, and the ability to destroy most obstacles by walking into them. Cannot be stacked in one room.
- Gives half a Black Heart, +2 damage, -0.18 speed and the ability to destroy obstacles for the current room.
- If used multiple times in one room, the speed penalty only applies once, but the damage buff can stack. Each subsequent damage buff becomes less effective for each use
- Allows Isaac to deal 40 contact damage to enemies for the current room. Does not prevent Isaac from taking contact damage. It can be applied only once per second per enemy.
- Isaac's tears become red for the current room.
- This item belongs to the Leviathan set. Collecting three items from this set will transform Isaac into Leviathan.
- Isaac makes a demon sound when taking damage while this item is in use. This is quieter than Isaac's standard damage sound and is easy to miss.
- The damage increase from The Nail can be stacked in the same room, but the speed penalty does not increase.
- Book of Virtues: Spawns black wisps on the inner ring. Wisps shoot nails that deal double damage from standard wisps, and have increased knockback, akin to Blister.
3DS The icon of The Nail as seen on the lower 3DS screen.
- The item's effect is a reference to the Nail of Vlad item in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest; equipping it would allow Simon to break certain obstacles such as rocks.
- In the original The Binding of Isaac, The Nail was unlocked by beating Mom's Heart three times.
- This item shares the same item description as Sulfur.
- Biblically, this item likely references the nails used to pin Jesus Christ to the cross.