The Lost starts with no health and cannot gain health by any means. Therefore, it will die from any hit.
The Lost starts with flight.
The Lost starts with flight, spectral tears, Eternal D6 and the effect of Holy Mantle (after donating 879 coins to the Greed Machine) This form of Holy Mantle is inherent to the character rather than being a starting item, and as such will be present when switching to The Lost in the middle of the run through the use of Clicker, will not be present when switching away, and cannot be removed by any means.
- Devil deals and Black Market items are presented as choices. Taking one will despawn all other deals in the room.
- Unlike other choices, devil deals cloned with Diplopia will not be a choice. All copies can be taken.
The Lost can activate the button in Greed mode without taking damage, for exchange of one coin less of the next wave's reward.
- Many of the game's items provide no benefit to The Lost; for example, those that affect health or trigger on taking damage.
- Resurrection items like Dead Cat will still work with The Lost.
- Devil deals, while free, still count as making a deal with the devil and will prevent angel rooms from opening. Thus, a Credit Card is still recommended, or getting Chaos to acquire angel room items (except broken key pieces).
- Isaac will be replaced by The Lost upon starting a third victory lap; however, Victory Laps do not allow the unlocking of achievements.
- Since the Lost's Holy Mantle isn't intrinsic, the Victory Lap Lost will always die from one hit unless the player has explicitly found the Holy Mantle.
- If The Lost's Holy Mantle effect is lost while within a Curse room, closing the game, starting it up and then continuing the run will restore the Holy Mantle's charge, allowing The Lost to leave the room unharmed.
- Using the D4 at all is not recommended as it will remove the Holy Mantle, making The Lost die in one hit.
- The Lost's Holy Mantle effect is intrinsic to the character once unlocked, and it can't be rerolled.
- The Lost starts with Eternal D6, even before it's unlocked.
- Holy Mantle is intrinsic, but picking up another one does not double the effect.
- Being innate, this holy mantle effect is not shown in the HUD nor in the pause menu.
- It also cannot be re-rolled away.
- Upon using the D4, the holy mantle effect will be temporarily lost. Leaving the room will regenerate the shield. (possibly a bug)
- Birthright: Prevents items with the internal tag
nolostbrfrom spawning. In practice, this automatically rerolls most items that aren't beneficial to The Lost, namely ones that only give health, flight, and/or spectral tears or activate upon taking damage.
Unlocking The Lost in Afterbirth
- Looking for Mom's Box in shops makes finding the poster easier.
- Glitter Bombs, in conjunction with a large enough or infinite source of bombs (such as a Gold Bomb), have a small chance to drop trinkets, making it easier to find the poster.
- This method got nerfed, since Glitter Bombs now have a cap on drops per floor.
- It is technically possible to unlock The Lost while holding Mysterious Paper, although the probability is small since it only has a 1/4 chance to imitate the Missing Poster. Dead Cat and other resurrection items could be useful for extra attempts.
- Since Divorce Papers always drop Mysterious Paper and have a cheap craft for Tainted Cain and his Bag of Crafting, a new possible method have been found where you spam runs getting the Divorce Papers early and dying in the first Sacrifice Room you can find. Even with the small chance of getting the unlock with Mysterious Paper, the high number of runs in a short period of time can be worth it.
- Even while holding Missing Poster, if Isaac happens to teleport while taking the last heart of damage, you will die without unlocking The Lost.
Unlocking The Lost in Rebirth
The Lost is unlocked by dying consecutively with certain characters, with no other deaths. Deaths must be completed in the order shown here, and seeds can be used for the runs except for the last with Azazel:
- Isaac must die to a Mulliboom in or .
- Magdalene must die to her own bomb in or .
- Judas must die to any Mom attack in or Necropolis. Being killed by any monster spawned by Mom will spoil the entire attempt at unlocking The Lost.
- Azazel must die to any Satan attack in Sheol. Being killed by The Fallen in the boss room or a Kamikaze Leech will spoil the entire attempt at unlocking The Lost. Being killed by using The Bible doesn't count as a Satan kill.
The Lost will be unlocked after dying to Satan's attack.
Notes on unlocking The Lost
- Multiple lives (for example, obtained by Dead Cat) must be depleted before the intended death, as deaths while having extra lives do not count as a game loss.
- Having any mods installed that triggers the mod flag will make The Lost unobtainable. To fix this problem, all mods have to be removed.
- The game cannot be won as any character required to unlock it when unlocking it.
- Champion versions of monsters and bosses will count for the death criteria.
- Runs can always be safely reset.
- Mom's Foot's stomp counts as explosive damage, which makes Pyromaniac a problematic choice when trying to complete Step 3.
- Picking the wrong character while unlocking him doesn't mess up the unlocking process.
- Quitting and Restarting the game in the middle of the unlocking process doesn't mess it up.
- Picking up Lazarus' Rags, Judas' Shadow, or Ankh should be avoided. These items will revive the current character as a different one and therefore prevent the current unlock-step from being fulfilled.
- Exploit: If you die during a required run, but hit the "start" button just as you die and reset before it shows the "Today I died" paper, it will not count as a death that spoils the run, instead it counts as a restart.
By changing a file parameter, an unsuccessful try can be undone:
- Backup the file
Options.inifound in the
Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirthby making a copy of it in the same folder.
- Open the original file with Notepad and change the
SteamCloudparameter in it to
0. This will disable Steam Cloud gamesaves synchronization.
- After an unsuccessful try, delete the original file and rename the backup copy with the name of the original file:
- Repeat steps 1 after each successful run until you unlock The Lost.
- When finished, open the original file and restore the
SteamCloudparameter in it to
1. This will enable Steam Cloud gamesaves synchronization again.
Helpful Seeds For Rebirth
- When The Lost's unlock requirements were discovered through the use of data mining, Edmund McMillen and Tyrone Rodriguez both expressed their disappointment, considering it impatient and "like swallowing a hundred dollar steak in one bite".
- Right before the start of a run, some images appear to hint to unlocking The Lost, including the Missing Poster and The Lost itself.
- Dying in a Sacrifice Room while holding the Missing Poster would yield a puzzle piece on Isaac's last will. These puzzle pieces, when put together, created the last wills of characters dying in the method used to unlock The Lost.
- Before version 1.02, The Lost would die if a run was exited then continued.
- When The Lost picks up an item, tarot card, or pill, you can see its arms that do not connect to its body.
- Internally, The Lost has half a soul heart, which is hidden behind a permanent Curse of the Unknown-like effect. The singular soul heart is why The Lost can "pick up" soul hearts, black hearts, and eternal hearts. There are no ways to increase this health, though, as The Lost's health is constantly reset back to half a soul heart.
- Devil deals appear as requiring three soul hearts each as The Lost technically only has half of an invisible soul heart. This is cosmetic only, as devil deals are still free.
- A loading screen (when Isaac dreams) depicts the "Voice of God" telling Isaac's Mom to kill her son as The Lost speaking to her from the attic.
- The Lost's starting health is listed as "?" on the character selection screen.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|