The Lost is a secret character.
The Lost starts with no health and cannot gain health by any means. Therefore, it will die from any damage taken.
- The Lost starts with flight.
- The Lost starts with flight, spectral tears, D4 (if unlocked) and Holy Mantle (after donating 879 coins to the Greed Donation Machine).
- The Lost starts with flight, spectral tears, Eternal D6, and the effect of Holy Mantle (after donating 879 coins to the Greed Donation Machine). This form of Holy Mantle is inherent to the character rather than being a starting item, and as such will be present when switching to The Lost in the middle of the run through the use of Clicker, will not be present when switching away, and cannot be removed by any means.
3DS The Lost also starts with D4 (if unlocked).
The Lost can activate the button in Greed mode without taking damage, at the price of one less coin spawning in the next wave's reward.
- Devil deals and Black Market items are presented as choices. Taking one will despawn all other deals in the room.
- This also applies to devil deals in the first room of the Dark Room; only one of the devil deals spawned by the chests can be taken, regardless of how many chests have been opened.
- Unlike other choices, devil deals cloned with items like Diplopia or Crooked Penny will not be a choice. All copies can be taken.
- 1 Notes
- 2 General Strategies
- 3 Item Interactions
- 4 Unlocking The Lost in Afterbirth
- 5 Unlocking The Lost in Rebirth
- 6 Unlockable Achievements
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
- Resurrection items like Dead Cat are very valuable to The Lost because they are the only health ups you can get.
- Devil deals, while free, still count as making a deal with the devil and will prevent Angel Rooms from opening. Thus, a Credit Card is still recommended, or getting Chaos to acquire angel room items (except broken key pieces).
- Isaac will be replaced by The Lost upon starting a third victory lap; however, Victory Laps do not allow the unlocking of achievements.
- Since the Lost's Holy Mantle isn't intrinsic, the Victory Lap Lost will always die from one hit unless the player has explicitly found the Holy Mantle.
- If The Lost's Holy Mantle effect is lost while within a Curse Room, closing the game, starting it up and then continuing the run will restore the Holy Mantle's charge, allowing The Lost to leave the room unharmed.
- The Lost can no longer restore his holy mantle by closing the game, starting it up and then continuing the run
- Using the D4 at all is not recommended as it will remove the Holy Mantle, making The Lost die in one hit.
- The Lost's Holy Mantle effect is intrinsic to the character once unlocked, and it can't be rerolled.
- The Lost starts with Eternal D6, even before it's unlocked.
- Holy Mantle is intrinsic, but picking up another one does not double the effect.
- Being innate, this holy mantle effect is not shown in the pause menu.
- It also cannot be re-rolled away.
- Upon using the D4, the holy mantle effect will be temporarily lost. Leaving the room will regenerate the shield. (possibly a bug)
- After reaching Womb, The Lost becomes slightly easier to play, because the invincibility frames from Holy Mantle scale with the damage that would have been taken.
- Holy Mantle breaking only grants one second of invincibility frames, regardless of the damage source.
- Using the IV Bag will instantly kill The Lost even with the Holy Mantle.
- Using a Blood Donation Machine will instantly kill The Lost as well.
- Bedrooms are much more common as The Lost due to its lack of health. While it cannot take advantage of the beds to heal, the guaranteed Crawl Spaces in clean Bedrooms can give more opportunities for items.
- One of the biggest issues of having no health is that many items become completely useless: items that only give health ups, only become effective upon taking damage or cost health to use provide no benefit to The Lost.
- This is alleviated by the Eternal D6 that The Lost starts with. Eternal D6 has a chance to destroy an item instead of rerolling it, which isn't bad if it's used on a useless item. In fact, on its own it can only yield a net positive (such as by rerolling a useless item into something useful) or neutral result, such as generating another useless item or destroying it.
- Trinkets and Items like Brain Worm that can home-in and target enemies even at a distance are invaluable early game as you do not need to place yourself directly in the enemy's attack path and The Lost's spectral tears pass through most obstacles.
- Birthright: Prevents items with the internal tag
nolostbrfrom spawning. In practice, this automatically rerolls most items that aren't beneficial to The Lost, namely ones that only give health, flight, and/or spectral tears or activate upon taking damage.
- Whore of Babylon: As the Lost has no health Whore of Babylon is constantly in effect, effectively changing into a damage and speed upgrade.
Unlocking The Lost in Afterbirth
- Looking for Mom's Box in shops makes finding the poster easier.
- Glitter Bombs, in conjunction with a large enough or infinite source of bombs (such as a Golden Bomb), have a small chance to drop trinkets, making it easier to find the poster.
- This method got nerfed: Glitter Bombs now have a cap on drops per floor.
- It is possible to unlock The Lost while holding Mysterious Paper, although the probability is small since it only has a 1/4 chance to imitate the Missing Poster. Dead Cat and other resurrection items could be useful for extra attempts.
- If Isaac happens to teleport away from the sacrifice room right as he dies, then he won't unlock The Lost.
- Sacrificing health for the 12th time in a row and onwards has a 50% chance to teleport you to the Dark Room. Make sure Isaac has no more than 11 hearts before attempting to die in the sacrifice room.
- Sacrificing health for the 6th time in a row will have a 33% to teleport Isaac to the Angel Room. If Isaac loses his last sacrifice and get teleported to the Angel Room, he will not unlock The Lost.
Unlocking The Lost in Rebirth
The Lost is unlocked by dying 4 times in a row, each time with a certain character dying in a certain circumstance. Deaths must be completed consecutively in the order shown below. Seeds can be used on all but the final step.
- Isaac must die to a Mulliboom in Chapter 1.
- Magdalene must die to her own Bomb in Chapter 2.
- Judas must die to Mom. Being killed by any monster spawned by Mom will spoil the entire attempt at unlocking The Lost.
- Finally, Azazel must die to Satan. Being killed by any of the other enemies spawned by Satan will spoil the entire attempt at unlocking The Lost. Using The Bible on Satan does not count as death from Satan.
The Lost will be unlocked after completing the steps shown above
Notes on unlocking The Lost
- Multiple lives (for example, obtained by Dead Cat) must be depleted before the intended death, as deaths while having extra lives do not count as a game loss.
- Having any mods installed that triggers the mod flag will make The Lost unobtainable. To fix this problem, all mods have to be removed.
- The game cannot be won as any character required to unlock it when unlocking it.
- Champion versions of monsters and bosses will count for the death criteria.
- Runs can always be safely reset.
- Mom's Foot's stomp counts as explosive damage, which makes Pyromaniac a problematic choice when trying to complete Step 3.
- Picking the wrong character while unlocking him doesn't mess up the unlocking process.
- Quitting and Restarting the game in the middle of the unlocking process doesn't mess it up.
- Picking up Lazarus' Rags, Judas' Shadow, or Ankh should be avoided. These items will revive the current character as a different one and therefore prevent the current unlock-step from being fulfilled.
- Exploit: If you die during a required run, but hit the "start" button just as you die and reset before it shows Isaac's Last Will, it will not count as a death that spoils the run, instead it counts as a restart.
By changing a file parameter, an unsuccessful try can be undone:
- Backup the file
Options.inifound in the
Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirthby making a copy of it in the same folder.
Open the original file with Notepad and change the
SteamCloud parameter in it to
0. This will disable Steam Cloud gamesaves synchronization.
- After an unsuccessful try, delete the original file and rename the backup copy with the name of the original file:
- Repeat steps 1 after each successful run until you unlock The Lost.
- When finished, open the original file and restore the
SteamCloudparameter in it to
1. This will enable Steam Cloud gamesaves synchronization again.
Helpful Seeds For Rebirth
- When The Lost's unlock requirements were discovered through the use of data mining, Edmund McMillen and Tyrone Rodriguez both expressed their disappointment, considering it impatient and "like swallowing a hundred dollar steak in one bite".
- Right before the start of a run, some images appear to hint to unlocking The Lost, including the Missing Poster and The Lost itself.
- Dying in a Sacrifice Room while holding the Missing Poster would yield a puzzle piece on Isaac's last will. These puzzle pieces, when put together, created the last wills of characters dying in the method used to unlock The Lost.
- Before version 1.02, The Lost would die if a run was exited then continued.
- When The Lost picks up an item, tarot card, or pill, you can see its arms that do not connect to its body.
- Internally, The Lost has half a soul heart, which is hidden behind a permanent Curse of the Unknown-like effect. The singular soul heart is why The Lost can "pick up" soul hearts, black hearts, and eternal hearts. There are no ways to increase this health, though, as The Lost's health is constantly reset back to half a soul heart.
- Devil deals appear as requiring three soul hearts each as The Lost technically only has half of an invisible soul heart. This is cosmetic only, as devil deals are still free.
- The Lost can pick up soul hearts within the small timeframe of invincibility granted by Astral Projection after getting hit.
- The Lost's health was visible on the HUD in V1.7.5 but was made invisible again in V1.7.6.
- A loading screen (when Isaac dreams) depicts the "Voice of God" telling Isaac's Mom to kill her son as The Lost speaking to her from the attic.
- The Lost's starting health is listed as "?" on the character selection screen.
- As a secret character, The Lost does not appear on the character select screen until unlocked.
The Lost on the boss vs. screen prior to Repentance.
The Lost on the next floor screen prior to Repentance.
Isaac briefly appears as The Lost during the cutscene preceding The Beast.
|The Lost Unlocks|
|Greed Donation Machine Unlocks|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
Collection • Item Pools • Version History • Modding • Music