- Replaces Isaac's tears with a sword he can swing in front of him.
- If Isaac's total health is equal to or greater than his number of Red Heart containers (same rule as regular Challenge Rooms), the sword fires a projectile when swung.
- The projectile deals damage equal to Isaac's damage +2, and has a cooldown equal to 2x Isaac's normal tear rate.
- Holding an attack button charges a spin attack, ready when the sword flashes, which damages all enemies around Isaac. It also deflects enemy projectiles, which can damage enemies who get hit, and launches a projectile regardless of Isaac's current health.
- The circular swing deals 8x Isaac's damage +10, and the projectile created from it deals 4x Isaac's damage +4.
- The charge time is based on Isaac's tears stat, at ~4x Isaac's normal tear rate.
- While charging, the sword will damage the first enemy that contacts it. This will cancel the spin attack.
- Spirit Sword has the highest priority of all tear modifiers in the game, over Epic Fetus and Mom's Knife.
- Unlike most charge attacks, the direction of the attack can't be changed by pressing and holding a different attack button then releasing the old one. Instead, it will stay pointing the same direction until all attack buttons are released, either doing nothing or using the spin attack, or the sword touches and damages an enemy, dealing sword slash damage.
- Spirit Sword can be used to open Spiked Chests and Mimics without taking damage.
- Range upgrades move the hitbox of the sword forwards, including the spin attack. Enough range upgrades can leave a large blind spot directly in front of the sword.
- Only the projectile and spin attack are affected by tear rate, not the normal sword swing, meaning that items that increase damage but decrease tear rate, such as Polyphemus and Eve's Mascara, are much more effective when only using the swing. Additionally, items that do the inverse, such as Soy Milk and Almond Milk; are not as effective when only using the swing.
- Spirit Sword will deflect Mother's Fistula attack and will send it right back at her, entering a short sequence that allows to deal bonus damage, if executed correctly; see the page for more details.
- 20/20/ Keeper/ The Inner Eye/ Mutant Spider/ The Wiz/Conjoined: Isaac spins one additional time for each extra tear, firing extra projectiles on each spin. No effect on the normal swing.
- Cricket's Body: The fired projectile will burst into multiple swords.
- Decap Attack: The body holds the sword while the head will only block projectiles.
- Eye Sore: Random chance to swing extra swords in random directions.
- Haemolacria: Sword becomes larger. The projectile is now fired in an arc and splits on collision with enemies and obstacles.
- Holy Light: Both the sword swing and the projectile can trigger Holy Light.
- Homing tears (e.g. Spoon Bender): The projectile will be homing.
- Isaac's Tears: The item fires normal tears but can be charged as fast as the sword can be swung. Doing a spin attack will fully charge Isaac's Tears.
- Lachryphagy: The fired projectiles will combine and split.
- Loki's Horns: Random chance upon swinging to have a sword in all 4 cardinal directions. Performing a spin attack when this occurs results in a 4-way spin.
- Lost Contact: Sword swings reflect projectiles.
- Maw of the Void: An additional ring will appear upon fully charging it. Spin is delayed by a bit.
- Mom's Eye: An additional sword is added to Isaac's back, and can be swung as normal.
- Mom's Knife: When doing the spin attack, Isaac throws the sword a short distance, which spins as it travels.
- Polyphemus: The sword and fired projectile become gigantic. Charge time is increased, but swing rate remains the same. Swings will also shake the screen.
- Rubber Cement: The fired projectile bounces.
- Technology: Sword becomes a lightsaber. Surrounds Isaac with a laser on every swing. Enemy projectiles are deflected by both normal and charged attacks.
- Technology 2: Laser fires when the sword is being swung or charged.
- Trisagion: The fired projectile is a Trisagion blast.
- Anti-Gravity: Sword beams are affected normally by Anti-Gravity. Regular sword swipes are overridden, but spin attacks freeze for a short time before firing.
- Blood Clot/ Chemical Peel: Sword swing has a 50% chance to become red and deal increased damage.
- Brimstone: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- Chocolate Milk: Increased knockback when fully charged, no effect on the regular sword swings.
- Cursed Eye: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- Death's Touch: Visual effect overridden by Spirit Sword including the ranged attack.
- Diplopia: No effect.
- Dr. Fetus: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- Epic Fetus: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- Explosivo: The sword swing has a chance to stick Explosivo shots to enemies it hits. The beam can stick to enemies and explode.
- Eye of the Occult: The projectile can be controlled.
- Fire Mind: Sword strikes and beams can burn enemies, and beams have a chance to explode.
- The Forgotten: Spirit Sword will only work with The Soul, no changes to The Forgotten.
- Godhead: The fired projectile receives Godhead effects. No effect on the swing aside from stat changes.
- Incubus: Incubus tears are replaced with a sword, identical to Isaac.
- Ipecac: Sword beams are exploding shots that deal Isaac's damage — does not apply Ipecac's +40 damage modifier.
- Jacob's Ladder: Both the sword shots and sword swing create electricity.
- Kidney Stone: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- The Ludovico Technique: Overridden by Spirit Sword. Prevents the standard swing from being able to fire a projectile.
- Marked: Overridden by Spirit Sword. Stats upgrade still applies.
- Monstro's Lung: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- Mysterious Liquid: The charged sword attack spawns creep, the projectiles do not.
- Playdough Cookie: Every sword swing gains a different color and effect based on that color.
- Pupula Duplex: No effect.
- Sinus Infection: The sword swing has a chance to stick boogers to enemies it hits. The beam can stick to enemies.
- Sulfur: Overridden by Spirit Sword. Damage up on third and subsequent uses still applies.
- Tainted Forgotten: No effect.
- Tractor Beam: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- Tech.5: Prevents Spirit Sword projectiles from being fired on standard swings. Charged swings still fire projectiles.
- Tech X: Overridden by Spirit Sword.
- Technology Zero: Sword shots are connected with electricity, swings are unaffected.
- Terra/ Sulfuric Acid: Only the sword's beams can destroy rocks.
- The function of this item is a reference to the Master Sword in many The Legend of Zelda games.
- This item is used in Isaac's Awakening (challenge #39).
- When combined with Technology, the sword becomes a lightsaber, which is a reference to Star Wars.
- The name Spirit Sword is a reference to the Sword of the Spirit, one of the many armaments that make up the Armor of God. This is further supported by the fact that it is an Angel Room item.
|Bug!||When reaching 30.00 Tear Rate or higher, Spirit Sword will continuously use the spin attack, only stopped by holding down a fire key. This is likely due to the fact that starting at 30.00 Tear Rate, the internal number is "0", and begins to go negative beyond that.|
|Bug!||In waterlogged rooms, the reflection of the sword swings in the opposite direction of the actual sword, when it should swing in the same direction.|
|Bug!||Having Hemoptysis with Spirit Sword will sometimes cause the game to crash when hitting both at once.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|