Notched Axe is an activated item.
- Isaac holds the Notched Axe above his head as long as he is in that room, and can break any obstacles he touches, as well as being able to break through walls that lead into Secret Rooms.
- Isaac stops shooting tears and holds the Notched Axe like The Forgotten's club, and can break obstacles, blow open doors, and hit enemies for 3x damage by swinging it. The Notched Axe has 64 charges. Hitting rocks or opening doors depletes 1 charge for each obstacle destroyed. Hitting enemies depletes 2 charges. Isaac can toggle back and forth between tears and using the Notched Axe by pressing the Active Item button. Once the Notched Axe runs out of charges, it cannot be used for the rest of the floor.
- The charges on Notched Axe cannot be refilled by means other than going to a new floor or picking up Iron Bar. This includes Batteries, Battery Bums, 4.5 Volt, Jumper Cables, etc.
- If Isaac takes damage while using the Notched Axe, his current use of the Axe will end.
- Isaac cannot attack or pick up other items while using the Notched Axe.
- Activating the item while it is already being used will end the effect. This does not require any charge.
- The Notched Axe may be used to get access to the Mines. The door will break open with one swing.
- Notched Axe shares its synergies with The Forgotten's bone club. See that page for details.
- Notched Axe, like The Forgotten's bone club, may be used to pick up items that are just out of reach over a pit or spikes. This does not require any charge.
- Notched Axe can open secret rooms, and so it can be used on walls to test for secret rooms without using charge.
- Notched Axe cannot free Sticky Nickels.
- Notched Axe can provoke an Angel Statue in Angel Rooms, triggering the boss fight.
- Obstacles destroyed by the Notched Axe will never fill pits.
- Notched Axe can be used to destroy the Tuff Twins and The Shell bosses instead of using bombs.
- Anti-Gravity: Melee attacks will generate a hovering tear in the shape of the swing of the pickaxe.
- The Battery: Causes remaining charge from the previous floor to carry over to the next one.
- Bethany: Breaking Notched Axe and using a Soul Charge to activate it again will allow for a single use before immediately breaking.
- The Book of Belial + Birthright as Judas / Dark Judas: The axe receives a purplish glow and receives the following upgrades:
- Increased durability: each use of the axe has a very high chance not to use a charge.
- Faster usage: the axe can be swung faster.
- Higher knockback: enemies are knocked back when hit, receiving 8 + 0.2 * floor damage if they collide with a wall, obstacle, or other enemies.
- Fire effect: the axe will set enemies on fire. The burn damage is equal to Judas' damage.
- Increased luck: destroying obstacles with the axe has an increased chance to spawn pickups.
- Destroying Poops will spawn pickups much more frequently. When combined with Petrified Poop, the chance becomes 100% and will often result in multiple pickups from a single poop.
- Destroying Tinted Rocks will drop more consumables than usual, similarly to Super Special Rocks.
- Destroying Urns has a higher chance to drop more coins. The coins can be of different variants, such as Dimes, Lucky Pennies, Golden Pennies, etc.
- Destroying Mushrooms, Skulls and other alternative rock variants has an increased chance to drop their respective rewards.
- Destroying Fool's Gold rocks will drop significantly more coins.
- Book of Virtues: When used with the Book of Virtues, breaking obstacles has a chance to generate wisps that have different effects based on the "mineral" mined, from most common to least common:
- Black wisp: Fires black tears that have the effect of A Lump of Coal and deal 2.5 damage.
- Silver wisp: Fires metallic tears that have the effect of Iron Bar and deal 4 damage.
- Gold wisp: Fires penny tears that have the effect of turning enemies gold, similar to Midas' Touch and deal 3.5 damage.
- Red wisp: Fires laser tears similar to the ones fired by Technology and deal 3.5 damage.
- Blue wisp: Fires diamond tears similar to the ones fired by Crown of Light that deal 7 damage.
- Broken Padlock: Allows the Notched Axe to open locked chests and doors; does not use durability.
- Ipecac: Melee attacks will trigger an explosion when they makes contact with an enemy; unlike with the Forgotten's bone club, Isaac will take damage from these Ipecac explosions.
- Iron Bar: Fully recharges the axe when picked up.
- Technology: Melee attacks will cause a technology laser ring to appear around Isaac, damaging enemies.
- Glowing Hour Glass & Schoolbag: Notched Axe will be fully recharged after going back in time to the previous floor.
In Rebirth 
In Repentance 
- This item is a reference to Markus "Notch" Persson, the creator of Minecraft.
- It resembles an Iron Pickaxe, which can be used to mine stones and ores.
- The item durability being 64 could also be a reference the max amount of copies you could hold in a slot for most items in Minecraft.
- The item is also a reference to the Notched Pickaxe from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which itself was most likely also a reference to Notch.
- This item got significantly buffed from the original Binding of Isaac, where it could not open up secret rooms and could only break 1 rock for every use, though it did only have a 1 room recharge time.
- The "mineral" wisps that appear when using Book of Virtues with this item follow the same scheme as they do in Minecraft, giving the player black, silver, gold, blue, and red wisps, most likely corresponding to the Minecraft minerals coal, iron, gold, diamond, and redstone respectively.
- The new effect from The Book of Belial resembles an enchanted pickaxe that appears to have the following Minecraft enchantments: Efficiency (quicker usage), Fire Aspect (setting enemies on fire), Fortune (increased amount of drops when destroying obstacles), Knockback (increased knockback) and Unbreaking (increased durability).
- The synergy as a whole references the fact that enchanted books are used to augment tools in Minecraft.
- Using Iron Bar to repair the item is another reference to Minecraft where you can repair Iron Pickaxes using iron and an Anvil.
PC TKNS HMGD (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
PS4 4WHX (First floor treasure room)
Vita HE2H MDS7
3DS 66LH Q1TM (First floor treasure room)
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|