|Base HP||Stage HP|
Gateway to The Void if unlocked (10% Chance)
After being killed 11 times, Mom's Heart is permanently replaced by It Lives. However, even after being replaced by It Lives, there are a few circumstances in which Mom's Heart can still be fought:
- It can still appear in the Nightmare Boss wave of Chapter 4 in Greed/Greedier Mode.
- It has a chance to appear in one of the boss rooms in The Void.
- After the defeat of the stronger version of Mom on second floor of Chapter 3.5 ( Mausoleum, Gehenna), a flesh door appears, which can be opened if Isaac has collected both Knife Piece 1 and Knife Piece 2. Behind it, a stronger version of Mom's Heart can be fought.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
At the beginning of the fight, Mom's Heart is always accompanied by 2 Eyes. After awhile, Mom's Heart retreats upwards, becoming invulnerable and launching four diagonal lines of red projectiles in a spread that slowly rotates clockwise. When each original Eye is killed, another one spawns in its place.
After the second set of Eyes have been killed, Mom's Heart alternates between two attacks:
- Lowers itself and shoots red projectiles in different patterns:
- 10 projectiles in all directions that expand outwards either continuously or in a pulsating manner.
- 3 pulsating curved lines of projectiles that rotate and expand outwards.
- 2 rings of ten projectiles that pulsate outwards at different intervals.
- A single line of projectiles that follows Isaac.
- 8 slightly curved lines of projectiles that rotate and expand outwards.
- 5 lines of projectiles that mimic Isaac's movements (these lines have no space between projectiles).
- 4 curved lines of projectiles that continuously rotate and expand outwards.
- After performing one of these projectile patterns for long enough, Mom's Heart retreats upwards again, shooting the same four slow-moving lines of projectiles, and spawns 2 enemies of a singular type:
- After all enemies have been defeated, Mom's Heart lowers itself and repeats the entire process.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- After reaching 60% HP, Mom's Heart beats faster and no longer retreats upwards and instead performs projectile attacks and spawns enemies simultaneously.
Phase 3[edit | edit source]
- After reaching 10% HP, Mom's Heart stops its previous attacks and shoots four diagonal Brimstone lasers that rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise for a duration before stopping for a moment and then repeating the attack.
- At the very top of the boss room is a small area where the heart's hitbox is active and can deal contact damage.
- Upon defeat, Mom's Heart fires out a ring of 14 projectiles.
All of Mom's Heart's projectile attacks can hurt and kill spawned monsters.
Behavior in Mausoleum/Gehenna[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
The beginning of this fight is similar to one from Chapter 4, as Mom's Heart is always accompanied by two Eyes and retreats upwards after awhile, shooting the same four slow-moving lines of projectiles. However, a second pair of Eyes does not replace the first, and after both initial Eyes are killed, Mom's Heart lowers itself and no longer retreats upwards.
- Mom's Heart then shoots red projectiles in completely unique patterns:
- 2 interwined rings of 8 projectiles that expand outwards at different speeds.
- 2 lines of projectiles that rotate and expand outwards in a spiral motion.
- 5 lines of projectiles that rotate and pulsate outwards.
- A ring of 12 projectiles that expands outwards, along with 2 rings of 4 projectiles that expand outwards and rotate in opposite directions at a higher speed.
- 2 rings of 8 projectiles that expand outwards and rotate in opossite directions, creating curved lines that encase certain areas.
- Unlike in Chapter 4, it does not spawn monsters of any kind. Due to this, its behavior does not change despite beating faster after reaching 60% HP.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- After reaching 10% HP, Mom's Heart stops its previous projectile attacks and fires 2 Brimstone lasers in opposite directions that slowly rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise at a steady pace. During this, it also shoots 2 continuous streams of projectiles, one that follows Isaac's movements and the other mirroring the first.
- Upon defeat, Mom's Heart fires out a ring of 14 projectiles, identical to its Chapter 4 encounter.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Mom's Heart as one of Delirium's forms.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Rubber Cement - Defeat Mom's Heart 2 times.
- A Noose - Defeat Mom's Heart 3 times.
- Solar System - Defeat Mom's Heart 3 times.
- Wire Coat Hanger - Defeat Mom's Heart 4 times.
- Everything Is Terrible!!! - Defeat Mom's Heart 5 times.
- Ipecac - Defeat Mom's Heart 6 times.
- Experimental Treatment - Defeat Mom's Heart 7 times.
- A Quarter - Defeat Mom's Heart 8 times.
- A Fetus in a Jar - Defeat Mom's Heart 9 times.
- Demo Man - Defeat Mom's Heart 9 times.
- ??? - Defeat Mom's Heart 10 times.
- Blue Womb - Defeat Mom's Heart 10 times.
- It Lives! - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
- Darkness Falls - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
- Pokey Mans - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
- Burning Basement - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
Everything Is Terrible!!! changes[edit | edit source]
After beating Mom's Heart 5 times, the following playthroughs have the following changes:
- Bosses drop 1 less health pickup.
- The chance of a floor receiving a curse increases.
- Unlocks Half Soul Hearts
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Every time Mom's Heart is defeated changes the current savefile's image until It Lives is unlocked.
- Until It Lives is unlocked, Mom's Heart cannot be continued past unless a Devil Room or an Angel Room appears, which allows access to Sheol or the Cathedral, respectively.
- Just like Mom, Using The Bible against Mom's Heart will kill it instantly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mom's Heart appeared in the original The Binding of Isaac.
- In the original Binding Of Isaac, the only attack Mom's Heart could perform was spawn 2-4 monsters before disappearing and repeating the same move each time the wave of monsters were killed off.
- The music that plays during this fight is titled Ventricide. Ventricide is a made-up word formed from the word ventricle (one of the two larger chambers of the heart) and the suffix -cide, which denotes an act of killing. This theme is used in other tracks, such as Matricide, Hericide, and Infanticide.
- If Isaac gets hit by Mom's Heart's Brimstone attack, Mom's laugh can be heard.
- As of Booster Pack #5, since the Scarred Womb can only be unlocked after defeating It Lives 30 times, Mom's Heart can no longer appear in that environment.
- During the versus screen, Mom's Heart's enemy-spawning sound can be heard. Mom's Heart is one of seven bosses that can be heard during the versus screen, the other five being The Stain, The Forsaken, Big Horn, Mom, It Lives and Mother.
- Despite having a Womb layout, Mom's Heart's room in the Mausoleum/Gehenna does not have the red fog effect of the Womb.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|Bug!||Sometimes, if the boss intro is skipped, the game will not teleport Isaac into the center of the bottom of the room, resulting in immediate contact damage with one of the Eyes or Mom's Heart, depending on the direction of the room's entrance.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|