Mom's Heart is the boss in the second floor of the fourth chapter, and the final boss of Endings 1-11. Until It Lives is unlocked, Mom's Heart cannot be continued past unless a Devil Room or an Angel Room appears, which allows you to go to Sheol or the Cathedral, respectively.
After being killed 11 times, Mom's Heart will be permanently replaced by It Lives. However, Mom's Heart still has a chance to be found in one of the boss rooms in The Void. Also, its Mausoleum/ Gehenna version will always be found after player defeats the Mausoleum/Gehenna version of Mom and opens the flesh door.
Mom's Heart doesn't drop any items or pickups upon death besides hearts.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Mom's Heart acts very differently from the original Binding of Isaac.
At the beginning of the fight, Mom's Heart will always be accompanied by two Eyes.
After a while, Mom's Heart will retreat upwards and launch four diagonal lines of red projectiles in a spread that slowly rotate, at which point it cannot be harmed, even if the Eyes that spawn with it hadn't been killed yet. After these Eyes are killed, Mom's Heart will spawn a wave of various enemies of the same type, which can be:
Eyes will always be the first wave spawned after the two Eyes that accompany Mom's Heart are killed.
After killing an entire wave, Mom's Heart will lower itself again and shoot red projectiles in different patterns, which include:
- 10 projectiles in all directions that expand outwards either continously or in a pulsating manner.
- 3 pulsating curved lines of projectiles that rotate and expand outwards.
- 2 rings of ten projectiles that pulsate outwards at different intervals.
- A single line of projectiles that follows Isaac.
- 8 slightly curved lines of projectiles that rotate and expand outwards.
- 5 lines of projectiles that mimic Isaac's movements (these lines have no space between projectiles).
- 4 curved lines of projectiles that continously rotate and expand outwards.
After shooting enough projectiles, Mom's Heart will retreat upwards again and spawn another wave of enemies.
After losing 40% of it's health, Mom's Heart will beat faster and no longer retreat upwards, and it will shoot projectiles and spawn enemies simultaneously. However, all of its attacks can hurt its minions, which often results in them being killed quickly.
After losing 90% of its health, Mom's Heart will stop spawning enemies and will begin to shoot four diagonal Brimstone lasers that rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise. At the very top of the boss room is a small area where walking into it counts as though Isaac walked into the heart.
Upon defeat, Mom's Heart fires a single ring of 14 projectiles.
Mom's Heart in the Mausoleum/Gehenna[edit | edit source]
A stronger version of Mom's Heart can be fought in the Mausoleum and the Gehenna after the player defeats the Mausoleum/Gehenna version of Mom and opens the flesh door. Unlike in The Womb/ Utero, This version of Mom's Heart is never replaced by It Lives.
Initially, it is accompanied by two Eyes, as usual, and it still retreats upwards and shoots the four lines of red projectiles after a while, even if the two Eyes that spawn with it hadn't been killed yet. Once again, a wave of Eyes will spawn after the two Eyes that accompany Mom's Heart are killed. Once This wave is killed, however, the fight becomes completely different.
Mom's Heart will lower itself and never retreat upwards again, and will shoot red projectiles in different patterns, which are different from the ones shot in the Womb/Utero II:
- 2 interwined rings of 8 projectiles that expand outwards at different speeds.
- 2 lines of projectiles that rotate and expand outwards in a spiral motion.
- 5 lines of projectiles that rotate and pulsate outwards.
- A ring of 12 projectiles that expands outwards along with 2 rings of 4 projectiles that expand outwards and rotate in opposite directions at a higher speed.
- 2 rings of 8 projectiles that expand outwards and rotate in opossite directions, creating curved lines that encase certain areas.
Unilke in the Womb/Utero, Mom's Heart does not spawn monsters of any kind.
After losing 90% of its health, Mom's Heart's regular Brimstone attack is replaced with shooting Brimstone lasers in opposite directions that rotate clockwise, along with two lines of red projectiles in opposite directions, with one of them following Isaac and the other mirroring his movements.
Upon defeat, Mom's Heart fires a single ring of 14 projectiles, just like it does in the Womb/Utero II.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Mom's Heart as one of Delirium's forms.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Rubber Cement - Defeat Mom's Heart 2 times.
- A Noose - Defeat Mom's Heart 3 times.
- Solar System - Defeat Mom's Heart 3 times.
- Wire Coat Hanger - Defeat Mom's Heart 4 times.
- Everything Is Terrible!!! - Defeat Mom's Heart 5 times.
- Ipecac - Defeat Mom's Heart 6 times.
- Experimental Treatment - Defeat Mom's Heart 7 times.
- A Quarter - Defeat Mom's Heart 8 times.
- A Fetus in a Jar - Defeat Mom's Heart 9 times.
- Demo Man - Defeat Mom's Heart 9 times.
- ??? - Defeat Mom's Heart 10 times.
- Blue Womb - Defeat Mom's Heart 10 times.
- It Lives! - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
- Darkness Falls - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
- Pokey Mans - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
- Burning Basement - Defeat Mom's Heart 11 times.
Everything Is Terrible!!! changes[edit | edit source]
After beating Mom's Heart 5 times, the following playthroughs have the following changes:
- Bosses drop 1 less health pickup.
- The chance of a floor receiving a curse increases.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Every time Mom's Heart is defeated changes the current savefile's image until It Lives is unlocked.
- Just like Mom, Using The Bible against Mom's Heart will kill it instantly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mom's Heart appeared in the original The Binding of Isaac.
- The music that plays during this fight is titled Ventricide. Ventricide is a made-up word formed from the word ventricle (one of the two larger chambers of the heart) and the suffix -cide, which denotes an act of killing. This theme is used in other tracks, such as Matricide, Hericide, and Infanticide.
- If Isaac gets hit by Mom's Heart's Brimstone attack, Mom's laugh can be heard.
- Mom's Heart can appear in the nightmare boss wave of Chapter 4 in Greed/Greedier Mode, even after being replaced by It Lives in Normal and Hard Mode.
- Similarly, Mom's Heart can appear as a random boss in The Void, even after being replaced by It Lives in Chapter 4.
- As of Booster Pack #5, since it is required to defeat It Lives 30 times to unlock the Scarred Womb, Mom's Heart can no longer appear in that environment.
- In the original Binding Of Isaac, all Mom's Heart did was spawn 2-4 monsters before disappearing and repeating the same move each time the wave of monsters were killed off.
- During the versus screen, Mom's Heart's enemy-spawning sound can be heard. Mom's Heart is one of seven bosses that can be heard during the versus screen, the other five being The Stain, The Forsaken, Big Horn, Mom, It Lives (pre-Repentance) and Mother.
- Despite having a Womb layout, Mom's Heart's room in the Mausoleum/Gehenna does not have the red static of the Womb.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|Bug!||Sometimes, if the boss intro is skipped, the game will not teleport Isaac into the center of the bottom of the room, resulting in immediate contact damage with one of the Eyes or Mom's Heart, depending on the direction of the room's entrance.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|