The Mirrored World is a special area of the Downpour II and Dross II. The layout of The Mirrored World is the exact same as the normal floor, except mirrored left to right. Each room contains the same enemy encounters and has the same block layout, although some rocks may be different. The Treasure Room of the Mirrored World contains Knife Piece 1. The boss is also identical, and, if defeated, will drop an item from the Boss item pool.
Accessing the Mirrored World
In Downpour II or Dross II, there will be a room with a mirror on the side of a wall. In another part of the map, there will be an inextinguishable white fire. Touching the fire will cause the player to "die" and take control of The Lost. This state allows Isaac to pass through the mirror and access the Mirrored World.
- The Mirrored World is covered in a shimmery overlay, and its graphics slowly warp. Additionally, items and pickups will have their artwork inverted, and the level's soundtrack is played backward.
- Breaking the mirror is possible with a bomb, but it's not recommended as it will cut off access to the Mirrored World.
- Breaking the mirror while inside the Mirrored World will cut off access back to the normal world. Isaac will begin to fade and eventually start taking damage. Extra lives cannot be used to prevent this as Isaac will continue dying after using an extra life.
- The mirror will also break if Soul of Cain is used in the mirror's room.
- Sulfuric Acid or Terra can break the mirror.
- Mama Mega! will break the mirror upon entering the room.
- On XL floors, only one of the Treasure Rooms will contain Knife Piece 1 - the other will be empty. Both Boss Rooms will contain a treasure as normal.
- All Secret Rooms, Shops, and Vaults will be devoid of items. Shopkeepers will still appear, however, and can drop items as normal.
- The Member Card trapdoor will appear in the shop, and will lead to an empty store.
- If the location of a secret room or super secret room was first discovered in the mirror world, its location will be mapped when returning to the normal world, and vice versa.
- Trapdoors will not be spawned, except to crawlspaces or Black Markets – which will have no items.
- Black Markets can be populated with a Restock Machine. Items purchased from a mirrored Black Market are considered to be purchased by the non-mirrored character rather than The Lost; multiple items can be purchased and the health will be deducted from the non-mirrored character, possibly resulting in death.
- Wraiths will appear visible, but they will lack reflections unlike other entities, opposite of their normal appearance.
- The rooms in the Mirrored World count as separate rooms, so anything that happens in the normal world room will not affect the mirror world variant of the room, and they drop their own pickups upon completion.
- The Lost and Tainted Lost can pass through the mirror normally.
- Tainted Jacob can enter the mirror if he has been touched by Dark Esau.
- Tainted Soul can also enter the mirror without a white fire, and in turn, keep his health bar.
- It is a viable strategy to visit Downpour II / Dross II and enter the mirrored world even when not wishing to reach Mother, as it guarantees an extra Boss Room item and various pickups from clearing rooms. This is a risky strategy, however, as The Lost can still die easily.
- If a Planetarium or a Library exists in the normal world, it will exist on the mirrored world and require a key to open, even if you opened it in the normal world. However, there will be no item.
- To turn back into your original character, you need to clear 1 room as the lost. If you are in the Mirrored world, you will turn back after going through the mirror if you have not gone through it already. If there are no rooms left on the current floor; you can clear a room on the next floor and turn back.
- Any means of spending blood, including Blood Donation Machines, Devil Beggars, and Hell Games, will result in immediate death, even if the non-mirrored character has health to spend.
- Using D4 will transform Isaac back to his normal form with normal health, potentially making surviving the mirrored world much easier. This does not prevent leaving the Mirrored World normally via the mirror.
- When using any revival items while in the Mirrored World, such as Dead Cat or Judas' Shadow, Isaac's health will still be affected by the revival item used, even though the character in the Mirrored World is the Lost. For example, dying with Dead Cat will set the character's health to 1 red heart, regardless of the player's health in the non-Mirrored World.
- The mirror cannot be entered if the player uses Dad's Key or Get out of Jail Free Card.
- A Dice Room in the mirror world is distinct from the other Dice Room, is activated separately, and may have a different number.
|Bug!||In co-op mode, or when playing as Jacob and Esau, it is possible to have all but one character in their normal forms (normal health, etc.) while in the mirror world – that one only must touch the flame then use the mirror. Tainted Lazarus only needs one of his forms to become The Lost, while the other (flipped) form can stay normal in the mirror world.|