|Base HP||Stage HP|
Final Boss Chest + Gateway to the Void (50% Chance, otherwise cuts directly to Ending 16)
Unlock[edit | edit source]
- Reaching the Dark Room to fight The Lamb or Mega Satan without having unlocked The Negative can be achieved by either:
- Once unlocked, the Golden Gate can be opened using one of the following methods:
- Defeating Uriel and Gabriel to obtain Key Piece 1 and Key Piece 2. Collecting both pieces turns them into the Golden Key, which automatically opens the Golden Gate upon entering Chapter 6.
- Using Dad's Key in the starting room.
- Using a Get out of Jail Free Card in the starting room.
- Instructing Mr. ME! to unlock the door.
- Using Sharp Key on the door.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Passing through the Golden Gate and stepping onto the pentagram initiates the Mega Satan fight.
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
Mega Satan is accompanied by two hands, which serve as a barrier to protect him and an avenue for him to attack. His hands spread apart if Isaac gets close to him, and move together if Isaac moves away from him. Each hand has 600 HP, and destroying a hand deals 100 damage to Mega Satan. Each hand respawns 30 seconds after it’s destroyed.
Mega Satan has the following attacks:
- Closes his eyes and then fires one of several projectile patterns, including:
- 3-5 lines of blood projectiles. The angle these shots are fired at alternates between rotating clockwise and counterclockwise. The less lines of projectiles there are, the faster they travel and rotate.
- Spreads of brown projectiles that split into 4 smaller projectiles after traveling far enough, similarly to Cricket's Body.
- 2 spirals of blood projectiles that very rapidly rotate clockwise, creating semi-circular waves of projectiles.
- Rings of blood projectiles , fired in rapid bursts of 3.
- 2 spirals of blood projectiles that rotate clockwise at different speeds.
- 3 lines of blood projectiles that alternate between slowly curving right and left with every shot fired. The angle these lines of projectiles are fired out at alternates between slightly rotating clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Closes his eyes and then fires a Mega Blast laser straight down. His hands always fully spread apart while charging the laser, regardless of Isaac's position.
- Slams his head into the platforms 1-3 times, creating chaotic bursts of projectiles in all directions.
- Holds up one hand, then slams it at Isaac, creating a circular rock wave on impact. This attack can’t be used if both hands are currently destroyed.
- Slams both hands 3 times, alternating back and forth, creating rock waves that move towards the bottom of the screen. This attack can’t be used if either hand is currently destroyed.
- Destroying a hand during this attack prevents it from creating more rock waves.
- Mega Satan also spawns sets of mini-bosses to attack Isaac alongside him. These sets can be:
- After taking enough damage, Mega Satan and his hands withdraw into the darkness behind him and become invulnerable. During this time, he spawns a wave of bosses or mini-bosses, which must be killed in order to make Mega Satan vulnerable again. The first waves of bosses begins after Mega Satan takes 750 damage, the second after 1,500 damage, and the third after 2,250 damage.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
After taking 3,000 damage, Mega Satan sinks into the darkness and rises in his final phase as a skull. He no longer has his hands, nor does he spawn bosses; instead, he fires complex, projectile patterns. Possible patterns include the ones from the first phase (with increased shot speed), plus:
- 2 spirals of projectiles that slowly rotate counterclockwise. The shots zig-zag as they travel outward.
- 2 lines of projectiles that alternate between curving left and right. These lines combine to create curving lines with an safe space that moves from the left of the arena to the right.
- Rings of projectiles, with every other wave fluctuating in speed as it travels.
- Many lines of projectiles that slowly curve to the left (if black) and right (if red); these lines create safe spaces to maneuver in that slowly shift to the right.
- Several lines of projectiles that slowly wiggle as they travel, similarly to Wiggle Worm. The angle these shots are fired at either rotates clockwise or alternates between rotating clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Many lines of projectiles that wiggle as they travel and slowly curve to the left (if black) and right (if red); these lines create unmoving safe spaces between them.
- Many lines of projectiles that spin as they travel, similarly to Ring Worm. The angle these shots are fired at constantly randomizes.
- These projectiles don’t travel far enough to reach the corners of the arena if Mega Satan isn’t close to that corner.
- Dense rings of projectiles that wiggle as they travel.
- Several lines of projectiles that make large zig-zags as they travel.
- Six lines of projectiles, half of which slowly curve to the left (if black) and right (if red). These lines create safe spaces that slowly move towards Mega Satan.
- Rings of projectiles that rotate clockwise (if red) and counterclockwise (if black) simultaneously.
- Several lines of projectiles that continuously converge onto each other.
- The projectiles used in these patterns can be colored black, red, brown, or silver, depending on which one is used. For some attacks, they instead appear as red or yellow fire.
As Mega Satan takes damage during this phase, his skull begins to crack before eventually shattering. After this final phase is defeated, the game ends and Ending 16 plays.
If The Void is unlocked, there is a 50% chance that the game does not immediately end, and Mega Satan instead drops an ending chest along with a portal. Entering the chest ends the game and plays the cutscene while entering the portal takes Isaac to The Void.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Mega Satan as one of Delirium's forms.
// Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
These achievements are exclusive to Afterbirth, Afterbirth†, and Repentance.
- Apollyon - Defeat Mega Satan.
- Mega - Defeat Mega Satan as every character.
Damage Scaling[edit | edit source]
Damage scaling is an unclear mechanic introduced by Nicalis in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth to provide a more challenging experience to the players, enabling some enemies to retaliate against high damage attacks by deploying an "armor" of a sort to greatly reduce the amount of damage taken. Further details and an in-depth explanation may be found here.
Damage Scaling was given to Mega Satan and his hands in Repentance.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Afterbirth added Completion Marks for defeating Mega Satan. In Rebirth, there are no achievements linked to Mega Satan.
- Mega Satan does not have a health bar, making it difficult to determine how close he is to death.
- Mega Satan is behind an invisible wall Isaac can't move past, making him immune to contact damage effects like Midas' Touch and The Virus.
- Using Chaos Card on the first phase causes Mega Satan to go into his second phase instead of instantly killing him.
- This is because the first and second phase of the fight are actually two different enemies, and are shown as such in the bestiary.
- Mega Satan's hands count toward the mob cap total in the room, and prevent Greed, Sloth, and Fallen Gabriel from spawning enemies while they are undestroyed.
- With homing tears and The Ludovico Technique the tear will be strongly attracted by the head even when it can't be targeted, making killing other enemies very hard.
- Unlocking the Golden Gate with the golden key and then restarting the floor with Forget Me Now or an I AM ERROR room will not cause the golden key to respawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mega Satan's battle theme is titled Hericide, just like regular Satan.
- The Mega Satan room is a 1x2 room with only the lower half accessible.
- Mega Satan's second phase is referred to as "Mega Satan 2" in the bestiary.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|Bug!||Doing too much damage between phases will cause the game to play the normal "boss defeated" music throughout the rest of the fight.|
|Bug!||If a Pickup spawns under Mega Satan's hand, the hand will start to move and rotate for the rest of the fight until it's pushed away. This is a purely cosmetic bug.|
|Bug!||Using Delirious in Mega Satan's fight (after stepping on the pentagram), if Mama Gurdy is spawned, Mama Gurdy will be spawned behind Mega Satan, but it will be able to attack.|
|Bug!||If Isaac has Mom's Box and Tick, Mega Satan will start the fight at 70% health, instantly starting the fight at the first wave of bosses. Afterward, Mega Satan will be invisible the entire fight, and if Isaac moves to the upper half of the arena before Mega Satan dies, the game will softlock.|
References[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|