Lazarus is unlocked once the player has four or more Soul Hearts (or Black Hearts) at once during a run. He is a new character in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. He starts with three red heart containers and a double-blue pill of a random effect. He has slightly lower Range and Luck than Isaac but also starts with an extra life.
His revived form has increased base stats, with above-average damage, speed, and range. Though low on health, his improved stats counterbalance this weakness well.
When Lazarus (or another character with the item Lazarus' Rags) dies, they will be resurrected in the same room as Lazarus Risen with one red heart.
- Lazarus will lose one Red Heart container upon reviving, instead of removing all but one.
Lazarus Risen gains a significant increase to most of his stats, with bonuses in Damage, Speed, Range, and Luck, as well as the Anemic passive item, causing him to leave a toxic blood trail behind him after taking damage. Note that unlike most other items that cause the player to respawn, Lazarus' revival ability revives him on the spot, as opposed to the previous safe room.
Lazarus Risen is considered by the game to be a separate character from Lazarus, but all unlockable items can be earned by completing objectives with Lazarus Risen, and if you beat particular bosses for the first time with Lazarus Risen, you will gain the corresponding Completion Mark on Lazarus's post-it note.
After Challenge 31: Backasswards is beaten, Lazarus Risen's Anemic effect is permanent and no longer requires him to take damage.
If playing as Lazarus, when moving on to a new floor, Lazarus Risen will revert to Lazarus. If he has lost his extra life, he will regain it once he enters the new floor. Each time Lazarus dies, he gains a +0.5 damage up to both forms.
Upon transforming into Lazarus Risen, Lazarus loses one heart container. This cannot bring Lazarus below one heart container.
- Resurrection items (ability, in this case) activate in a set order. Lazarus' inherent extra life is 2nd / 3rd in this order after Soul of Lazarus and 1up!.
- Lazarus' negative luck decreases the chance to obtain Room Drops. As such, items increasing Luck are welcomed.
- Lazarus' low range can make it harder to hit enemies, in such case, items increasing Range are also welcomed.
- It is also possible to let yourself purposefully die at the beginning to become Lazarus Risen and obtain stronger stats, although you will be revived on the spot and have only 1 heart container.
- For example, attempt to complete the 2nd floor without any red heart damage, enter the Devil Room, and make deals until Lazarus dies. This will utilize Lazarus's 3 red heart containers to the most if successfully performed but heavily relies on RNG.
- After beating Challenge 31: Backasswards, Lazarus will have Anemic even before reviving. Anemic gives +5 range which compensates his shortness on the range, effectively nullifying problems around this.
- Lazarus Risen will always have Anemic activated and will constantly leave blood trails. A higher Speed attribute may help him spread more blood around the room.
- Donating your last heart piece to a devil beggar and respawning as Lazarus Risen activates the beggar an extra two times for a total of three.
- Birthright: Lazarus gains nothing directly from Birthright. Dying and becoming Lazarus Risen, or picking up Birthright when already in that form grants a +7.2 damage bonus that fades over the course of one minute. This effect triggers each time Lazarus dies.
- Any range up items. ( Mom's Heels, Mom's Underwear...)
- The lack of range can be compensated by a higher shot speed, via picking up items such as Cat-O-Nine-Tails or Speed Ball.
- Any luck up items. ( Latch Key, Lucky Foot...)
- Lost Cork increases the size of Anemic's creep trail, which can be useful for Lazarus Risen, especially if he has the Anemic effect permanently due to the player having beaten Backasswards.
- PHD, Virgo or Lucky Foot can turn Lazarus' beginning pill into a positive one unless his pill has an effect deemed neutral.
- Plan C is safer to use due to inherent extra life.
- Suicide King can be used most effectively when playing as Lazarus.
- Damocles is less dangerous than for most of the characters as Lazarus already starts with an extra life.
- After his resurrection, any health up items will help. Lazarus Risen initially has only 1 heart, therefore he is rather fragile.
- Cricket's Body Can be detrimental. Although it allows an increase in Tears and gives splash tears, its range diminution, added with Lazarus' already low range, can become dangerous. The same applies to Number One.
- Eve's Mascara and Dead Onion's drastic shot speed reduction can also prove themselves to be negative for Lazarus.
- A Lump of Coal loses efficiency due to Lazarus' initial range.
Note that after his resurrection, or receiving Anemic for the first life, these problems become much less troublesome due to the increased Range stat.
- Be careful when using self-damaging items or taking devil deals as Lazarus Risen, as his shortness on heart containers could prove fatal.
- Lazarus is a reference to Lazarus of Bethany. In the Bible, Lazarus of Bethany was resurrected by Jesus 4 days after his death. This is why Lazarus spawns with 1 extra life.
- Lazarus Risen's next floor art, in which he is crying about a bad memory, has blood tears, rather than the normal tears.
- If a co-op player joins in and takes a red heart from Lazarus, then Lazarus dies and gets revived, the co-op player can leave to grant Lazarus Risen an extra heart container.
- If the player dies as Lazarus Risen, his signature on Isaac's last will will have blood drops on it.
- Lazarus's locked icon shows him bound in chains.
|Bug!||Lazarus will receive a copy of Anemic when resurrecting. The item does nothing when stacked.|
|Bug!||Lazarus will keep Anemic when reverting from his risen form between floors.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
Collection • Item Pools • Version History • Modding • Music