Knights are enemies that can normally only be damaged from their exposed brains on the backs of their heads. However, explosions, attacks that pierce enemies ( Brimstone, Cupid's Arrow, etc.), or melee attacks ( Spirit Sword, Mom's Knife, etc.), will deal damage from any direction. The Knight normally walks around in random directions and will dash at Isaac if he is within line of sight.
Selfless Knights are considerably faster than regular Knights but otherwise function the same. Rather than an exposed brain, they have Isaac's face on the backs of their heads.
Floating Knights are similar to ordinary Knights but are slightly slower and can fly over obstacles.
Bone Knights are similar to ordinary Knights but leaves behind a short-lasting trail of damaging Red Creep. They charge faster than an ordinary Knight, but not as fast as the Selfless Knight. Bone Knights are the only variant of Knights that are susceptible to knockback both from the front and from the back.
Loose Knights are similar to ordinary Knights, but move slower and separates into a Brainless Knight and Pon when killed.
Brainless Knights are a variant of Knight created when a Loose Knight dies. They alternate between running around the room along the cardinal directions and aimlessly walking in circles, charging at Isaac when he gets in line of sight. It dies when its corresponding Pon dies; otherwise, they are invincible.
Black Knights are a variant of Knight that have slightly higher health and will walk erratically around the room, charging at Isaac if he is within line of sight. When charging, they accelerate rapidly, sending waves of fire in the cardinal directions and becoming stunned momentarily after colliding with a wall or obstacle. A Black Knight's mask will also reflect any of Isaac's tears that come in contact with it. They are almost immune to knockback and other forced-movement (such as Black Hole).
- The Knight is a monster in two segments: an invisible, invincible "shield" segment that leads the way and the visible "body" that follows close behind. The shield takes no damage and partially covers the body, stopping shots that would damage it.
- Prior to Booster Pack #5, the Knight and its variants were briefly invulnerable when they spawned, or when Isaac entered the room they are in. They would become vulnerable when they started moving.
- In the original Binding of Isaac, Knights were completely vulnerable when they spawned; the shield segment did not cover the Knight's front until it started moving, so Isaac could shoot it in the face for damage as soon as it appeared.
- Flush! does not work on Knights.
- Items that provide a fear effect (like Dark Matter) work remarkably well because they run away from Isaac, exposing their weak side.
- The name of the monster is a reference to the Darknut (also known as Tartnuc) enemy from The Legend of Zelda who, similar to Knights, cannot be harmed from their front.
- Floating Knights cannot fly over key blocks.
- If Isaac charms a Knight and it is the only enemy in the room, the Knight will chase Isaac but will not charge, making the Knight more difficult to damage until the effect is gone.
- In Antibirth, Brainless Knights were referred to as Empty Knights.
- Black Knights had a slightly different appearance in Antibirth and would spawn in the Mausoleum.
|Bug!||The hitbox of Dark Red Champion Knights (and their variants) do not change when they crumble into goo, and they must be shot from the back to damage them.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|