Jacob and Esau
|This article is incomplete. Please help to improve it, or discuss the issue on the talk page.|
Jacob & Esau are controlled as one, move at the same speed, and use the same coins, bombs, and keys. Otherwise, they are completely independent in terms of stats, items, and health. Both characters have collision and can be separated, though the "Drop" button can be held to keep Esau in place while Jacob is free to move around the room.
Due to the way Jacob and Esau work, active items and cards/pills have a different button scheme than other characters. Active items are used by pressing the the normal active item button for Jacob and the card/pill button for Esau. To use cards and pills, the player holds the drop button and then presses the corresponding character's active item buttons.
If either Jacob or Esau die, they both die regardless of the other character's remaining health.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If one character passes through a door, both characters move to the next room. Curse door damage will only be applied to the character that moves through the door.
- With careful positioning, it is possible to take two items in rooms with multiple items that usually disappear upon collecting one (Ex: The Polaroid & The Negative). As a result, if the player can handle the increased difficulty from these optional chapter paths, item rooms in Downpour, Mines, and Mausoleum (including their alternative variants) have double their normal value.
- Speed ups have only half their normal effect, though both characters will receive the buff.
- When placing a bomb, both Jacob and Esau place one, but only one bomb will be consumed.
- If Jacob obtains Remote Detonator, only the bombs placed by Jacob are affected; bombs placed by Esau will explode as normal and cannot be controlled by the detonator.
- When Dead Cat is picked up, only the character that takes it will be reduced to one heart container, but if either of the characters die, both characters are resurrected with one heart container.
- When either character picks up Lachryphagy, both characters tears will feed the shot.
- When Jacob and Esau sleep in a bed, only the one who touched the bed will be healed.
- Transforming into a new character with items like Clicker or Judas' Shadow will grant both Jacob and Esau's collected items to that character.
- Dice rooms with 1 or 6 pips will reroll held items only of the character that triggered the room.
- Key Piece 1/Key Piece 2 and Knife Piece 1/Knife Piece 2 will combine regardless of whether they are split up or carried by one character.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Jacob & Esau are the twin sons of Isaac from the Book of Genesis. Esau is described as being "red all over" when he was born, hence why his skin is red in this game. The reason why Esau has a sorrowful grimace may be of a story in Genesis where Esau was dying of hunger after an unsuccessful hunt, in which he asked Jacob to make him something to eat, but in return, Jacob wanted the heirloom blessing of his father, which had been bestowed upon Esau. Esau accepted the offering and regretted his choice afterward.
- Esau resembles the Dople monster (In both coloration and the distinct face pattern visible on the cheeks on Esau.) who mimics Isaac's movements in a similar way to how Esau mimics Jacob's movements. On top of this, they both fire blood shots.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|Bug!||Using multiple controllers and changing them while a game is in progress may cause several issues, such as confusing player slots and unlinking their deaths from each other. The control may also end up stuck on a third controller that is not available. It may also result in being able to move each character independently of each other with keyboard being able to move one and controller move the other.
The infinite item exploit in Co-Op has since been patched in v4.0.1, and can no longer be used. However, two items will still spawn.
|Bug!||Depending on which controller presses Continue, Esau will take two different forms.
- If "Player 1" presses Continue, Esau will remain as he is.
- If "Player 2" presses Continue, Jacob will instead have Esau's Health, and Esau will become a white-haired Jacob instead, including his stats.
|Bug!||Jacob and Esau cannot both get the Bookworm! from the same 3 items. It will only trigger if the other character picks up 3 books different from the ones the first transformation was acquired from.|
|Bug!||If Jacob and Easu are being controlled independently of each other and the item Genesis is used, an additional Easu, linked to Jacob, will spawn. This Easu will behave as the character normally does, moving in the same way as Jacob and causing both of them to die if one of them does.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|