|This article is about the boss. For the character, see Isaac.|
Isaac is the boss of the Cathedral, which can be accessed by either killing Mom's Heart 11 times and proceeding to kill It Lives, or entering an Angel Room after killing Mom's Heart and walking into the beam of light that appears. It is also accessible by using a teleport item before entering the boss room on the final floor. He is the final boss of Ending 13.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Note: During all three of Isaac's phases, he will always shoot multiple Projectiles in the player's direction at fixed intervals. After taking enough damage, he will begin to shoot double projectiles and triple projectiles.
Isaac will not begin attacking the player until he takes damage.
- Shoots 10 lines of projectiles in every direction.
- Shoots 8 groups of projectiles in a spinning pattern.
- Shoots 8 groups of spinning projectiles along with 10 slightly curved lines of projectiles in every direction.
- Shoots 4 projectiles in the cardinal or diagonal directions, which will split into four short-ranged projectiles after a short time, similar to Cricket's Body.
- Shoots 8 projectiles in all directions.
- Summons Angelic Babies in pairs.
- Summons two beams of light, similar to the beams summoned by Crack the Sky.
- Isaac grows angel wings and teleports off-screen and summons beams of light to cover the screen, starting from one of the top corners to the opposite bottom corner. After teleporting back on-screen, he will shoot the 10 lines of projectiles from the first phase. He will repeat this process every time he takes a certain amount of damage
- Angelic Babies cease spawning.
- Uses all shot patterns from the first phase.
- Isaac will block the player by flying in front of them if they attempt to traverse behind or to the left/right of Isaac.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Isaac as one of Delirium's forms.
Unlockable Items[edit | edit source]
- The Polaroid - Defeat Isaac 5 times.
- BRAINS! - Defeat Isaac 5 times.
- PONG - Defeat Isaac 5 times.
- Something Icky - Defeat Isaac 10 times.
Also, beating Isaac with a particular character for the first time will unlock the Cross completion mark on that character's post-it note.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Since Isaac does not attack the player until he is damaged, an effective strategy can be to use Remote Detonator after placing down many bombs. The bombs will not explode until remote detonator is used, dealing massive damage to Isaac. However, this requires the player to have a decent number of bombs (or a Golden Bomb). Having bomb synergy items (i.e. Mr. Mega, Bob's Curse, etc.) improves this strategy further.
During the second phase of the fight, attempt to damage Isaac enough to push him into his third phase as quickly as possible. The beams of lights spawned during this phase are random; the more time spent on this phase, the greater the likelihood of getting hit by them.
In Isaac's third phase, the beams of light he summons are hard to dodge, but they do have areas where damage can be greatly minimized. For example, if the beams of light start in the upper left corner, they will never hit the bottom left corner or the top right corner, but they can hit the bottom right corner. As a result, making it to a corner adjacent to where the beams begin is the optimal strategy to reduce the likelihood of taking damage from this attack, and going to the opposite corner is the next best thing as beams only sometimes hit that area. The top and bottom center of the room are also consistently safe, in case Isaac's speed cannot make it to a corner in time. Barring these strategies, running through the beams in the opposite direction they are coming from (if timed correctly) does not hurt Isaac.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Isaac, along with ???, are the only bosses who do not "die" upon losing all their health. Instead of exploding into a pile of gore, Isaac teleports away and the battle ends. Oddly it's noted that Isaac's expression as the fight goes on goes from a somber, scared tone to him smiling in his third phase. This supports the theory that Isaac has made peace with himself and realized what he must do, as seen through the multiple endings of the game.
- Isaac was added in the Wrath of the Lamb DLC for the original The Binding of Isaac.
- The music that plays during this boss fight is titled Infanticide. The term infanticide refers to the act of killing an infant or newborn.
- During his first phase, Isaac makes the same crying sound as Mulligans. This also applies to ???.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|Bug!||The Angelic Babies always spawn in the bottom center of the room at the same position.|
References[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|