Holy Mantle is a passive item.
- Grants a shield that negates the first instance of damage taken, once per room.
- This item belongs to the Seraphim set. Collecting three items from this set will transform Isaac into an angel.
- When the shield is broken, Isaac gets invincibility frames like he does when he would normally take damage, based on the damage it negated; 1 second for half a heart of damage, 2 seconds for a full heart, and 4 seconds for 2 full hearts.
- Holy Mantle breaking only grants one second of invincibility frames, regardless of the damage source.
- Holy Mantle won't be active when initially appearing in the starting room of a floor if it was lost in the room where Isaac left the previous floor.
- As the shield gets restored whenever another room is entered, Holy Mantle allows Curse Rooms to be entered and left without taking damage.
- Unlike every other protective effect, Holy Mantle (and similar effects) does not prevent damage from Blood Donation Machines, Devil Beggars, and Blood Rights.
- However, Blood Donation Machines and Devil Beggars can be played practically for free during the invincibility frames granted when losing the shield, by taking damage from touching a Fire Place, etc.
- Damage from Sacrifice Room spikes can be blocked by Holy Mantle, no payout is rewarded.
- The blocked hit does not count as damage taken for related achievements and will not trigger items that activate upon taking damage, like Dead Bird.
- The Lost starts with this item after donating 879 coins to the Greed Donation Machine.
- When Holy Mantle's shield is broken, a white cross symbol will briefly appear overlaid on top of Isaac and a smashing sound will play.
- While Holy Mantle is in effect, a blue cross icon appears in the HUD, next to Isaac's life.
- Belly Jelly / Host Hat / Infamy / Metal Plate: The chance of blocking projectiles is applied before the Holy Mantle, allowing the Holy Mantle shield to be saved.
- Blanket / Dogma / Holy Card / Wooden Cross: All stack with Holy Mantle, and with each other simultaneously. Holy Mantle applies last.
- Blind Rage: Doubles the invincibility frames given when damage is negated.
- Damocles: The nullified first hit does not trigger the chance of the sword falling. It will not, however, protect Isaac from the falling sword.
- E. Coli / Midas' Touch: On-contact effect still applies to enemies if Holy Mantle negates the contact damage taken.
- Isaac's Heart: The shield effect transfers to the heart.
- Stop Watch: If damage is blocked with Holy Mantle, Stop Watch will trigger the slow effect.
- Bad Trip: Damage is blocked by Holy Mantle.
- Diplopia: An extra effect is added in the room it was found in, but only a single effect will be given in future rooms.
- Dull Razor: Ignores Holy Mantle's shield and works normally.
- Glass Cannon: Holy Mantle's effect will apply after Glass Cannon reduces Isaac's health to half a heart.
- Holy Mantle / The Lost: An extra shield is given in the room it was found in, but the shield is removed when leaving that room and does not reapply.
- Sharp Plug: Holy Mantle blocks the damage from Sharp Plug, but also prevents it from adding charges.
- This may be a reference to the card of the same name from Magic: the Gathering, a collectible card game Edmund McMillen played since his childhood.
PC ADVA RE37 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC 2RTG TZKG ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC 893G 9AYJ ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC 1QXB 08E9 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC 8WKT GK49 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC CJHB BJF8 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC HGBT SDKC ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC 3403 J3ZN (First floor Treasure Room )
PC CEH8 HGYN ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PC DN0F 9GFH ( Eden starting item)
PC 49HP 61H2 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
PS4 S1HX M6V9 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
Vita HPJ6 R873 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
XboxOne J3HV KLK8 ( Treasure Room adjacent to spawn)
XboxOne Y6PX GRBK (First Floor Treasure Room )
Switch KMBW P2MF (First Floor Treasure Room )
Switch 8Q9P RMZV (First Floor Treasure Room )
|Bug!||If Isaac possesses Pyromaniac, the Holy Mantle will appear to be consumed if hit by an explosion before other damage, but will still protect from the first actual hit.[Check ingame]|
|Bug!||If the Holy Mantle is removed from Isaac's inventory — for example, when using the D4 — Isaac can still take one damage and it will be negated with Holy Mantle's effect, but only in the room where the items were re-rolled.[Check ingame]|
|Bug!||Activating Soul of Judas at the same time Isaac blocks a hit with Holy Mantle, time will freeze as normal, but Isaac will be allowed to shoot during the duration of the Dark Arts effect.|
|Greed Donation Machine Unlocks|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
Collection • Item Pools • Version History • Modding • Music