Easter eggs is one of the speculation pages in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Besides the obvious seeds - (Seed generator which doubles as a cheat code entry), there's lots more references to popular culture in the game.
Super Meat Boy
- Ball of Bandages - Gotta lick 'em all! (Becomes Bandage Girl from Super Meat Boy).
- Cube of Meat - (Becomes Super Meat Boy).
- Dr. Fetus - (Reference to the villain Dr. Fetus from Super Meat Boy).
- Epic Fetus -
- Little C.H.A.D. - (Referencing C.H.A.D. shrinking after his defeat in Super Meat Boy).
- SMB Super Fan - (Gives Isaac an appearance similar to Super Meat Boy).
- C.H.A.D. - (Reference to the boss C.H.A.D. from Super Meat Boy).
- Larry Jr.
Edmund's other games
- Ball of Tar - Gives Isaac an appearance similar to that of Gish.
- Clots - Enemies that appear to be smaller versions of Gish.
- Gish - The protagonist of Edmund's 2004 game, Gish.
- Little Gish - A familiar based off of Gish.
- Sisters Vis - A boss of Edmund's 2004 game, Gish.
- Little Steven - A reference to the smaller Steven from Time Fcuk.
- Steven - Attaches a small head to Isaac, similar to the smaller Steven from Time Fcuk.
- Steven - The protagonist of Edmund's 2009 game, Time Fcuk.
- Triachnid - The protagonist of Edmund's 2006 game, Tri-achnid.
- Lil Spewer - The protagonist of Edmund's 2009 game, Spewer.
- The Gamekid - Reference to Pacman and the Nintendo Gameboy.
- 1up! - Extra Life (Reference to the 1up power-up)
- Bobby-Bomb - Homing bombs (Reference to the Bob-omb enemy from the Mario series)
- Gnawed Leaf - Turn into an invincible statue (The item's appearance is a reference to the Leaf power-up, the effect to the Tanooki suit power-up from Super Mario Bros. 3)
- How to Jump - It's time you learned how. (The cover looks like the NES Super Mario Bros. cartridge)
- Liberty Cap - Touch fuzzy, get dizzy (Reference to level 1-7 in the Super Nintendo title Yoshi's Island)
- Magic Mushroom - All stats up! (Reference to the Super Mushroom power-up)
- Mini Mush - Speed + range up (Reference to the Mini Mushroom power-up)
- Mega Mush - I'm a Big Boy Now (Reference to the Mega Mushroom power-up)
- Friendly Ball - (The item is a reference to Poké Balls from the Pokémon franchise.)
- Missing No. - (Reference to the infamous Missing No glitch from the first generation of Pokémon games)
- Poke Go (Reference to the mobile game Pokémon Go)
- TMTRAINER (Reference to a glitch in Pokemon: Red and Blue)
- 'M (Reference to a glitch in pokemon: Red and Blue)
The Legend of Zelda
- The general gameplay is a reference to the original NES title, right down to the hud. Coins, Keys, and Bombs are used similarly to Rupees, Keys, and Bombs in the NES game.
- The original flash version of The Binding of Isaac uses a HUD that is a nearly direct port of the original NES Zelda title's HUD.
- Scolex may have been inspired by Lanmola from The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, both being underground and surfacing to attack before returning underground.
- Death's Head was likely inspired by Bubbles from The Legend of Zelda on the NES, as they are both skulls that are invulnerable and maneuver by bouncing off walls.
- Mom's Hands are a reference to Wallmasters from The Legend of Zelda.
- Spirit Sword Behaves like the Master Sword in 2D Zelda games
- Camillo Jr. - Likely a reference to Kracko Jr. from the Kirby series.
Magic: The Gathering
- Chaos Card - Refers to Chaos Orb, which instructs the player to flip it onto the playing field and destroy any cards it touches when it lands, a behavior similar to how the in-game Chaos Card is thrown and instantly kills any enemy.
- Black Lotus - Refers to the Black Lotus, one of Magic: The Gathering's most powerful cards. The 3 hearts it adds to the player's health total are a play on how the lotus creates 3 mana of any color.
- Lord of the Pit - Refers to Lord of the Pit, a creature that has flying similar to how the item gives Isaac flying.
- Spirit of the Night - Refers to Spirit of the Night, a creature that was popular in early Magic. Also has flying, similar to Lord of the Pit.
- Contract From Below - Refers to Contract from Below, which allowed a player to add a card to the (now-defunct) ante in a match to draw cards.
- Starter Deck - Extra card room
- Deck of Cards -
The first released four main characters you could pick in D&D are some of the playable characters in BOIR, based on the health and abilities.
- Isaac - Fighter
- Magdalene - Cleric
- Cain - Thief
- Judas - Mage
- The D6 - Reroll your destiny
- D7 - Reroll Rewards!
- D20 - Reroll the basics
- D100 - REROLLLLL!
- Monster Manual
- Notched Axe - Reference to Minecraft and its creator/former owner, Markus Persson (Known as Notch).
- Mine Crafter - Booom! - (Minecraft TNT).
- Whore of Babylon and III - The Empress display the message "What a horrible night to have a curse." upon activation. The text comes from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.
- III - The Empress? shows the message "The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.", which also comes from said game.
- Globins may have been inspired by Red Skeletons from the Castlevania series, both having a "collapsed form" upon death before reviving itself if the form isn't killed.
- Mask of Infamy - Carmilla from the Castlevania video game series.
- Holy Water
- Berserk! - The whole item is a reference to the Doomguy "Berserk" power-up. It also has "Rip and Tear" in the description, a phrase frequently used in Doom games (was first used in the 1996 Doom game when Doomguy pick up the Berserk power-up). Also, isaac can't die when this power-up is active, which is a reference to the joke of Doomguy, being "Literally too angry to die".
- Steam Sale - (Steam / Valve)
- Troll Face (can be seen from Envy and Super Envy's face, Pride and Super Pride's Troll Bomb summon attack) - Internet Meme
- Shoop Da Whoop! - Internet meme
- We Need to Go Deeper! - Reusable level skip (Quote from the film Inception)
- 8 Inch Nails - Stick it to 'em (9-Inch Nails rock group)
- Something Stinks / A Room Full Of Poop / Blank Card - (Cards Against Humanity)
- Dople - Reference to the Doppelgänger from the Tomb Raider video games.
- King Baby Hail to the king baby (Reference to Army of Darkness)
- Mr. ME! - Reference to Mr. Meeseeks from the Rick and Morty comedy series.
- Humbling Bundle - Reference to the Humble Bundle storefront
- My Shadow - Description is a reference to the song Forty Six & 2 by TOOL
- If you go to the tainted character select screen, the taskbar icon changes to tainted Isaac instead of regular Isaac
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|