Devil Rooms primarily allow Isaac to make Deals with the Devil, but they can also contain a variety of enemies, pickups, or even a boss battle against Krampus. A Devil Room has a chance to appear in a Boss Room after the boss occupying it has been defeated. If certain criteria are met, a Devil Room can be replaced by an Angel Room.
In Greed Mode, Devil Rooms are guaranteed appear upon completing the optional 11th wave of a floor.
- 1-3 Deals with the Devil
- 3 Red Chests
- 2 Black Hearts
- 2 Deals with the Devil and 1 Devil Beggar
- 4 Deals with the Devil
- 5 Red Chests
- 3 Devil Beggars
- 2 Runes
Additionally, 2 Red Fire Places may spawn, as well as Urns. Spikes may spawn instead of or in addition to any items/pickups. Some regular enemies can appear as well, including: 1 Mom's Hand, 2 Nulls, or 1 Imp.
- Also, 1 Mom's Dead Hand. If Isaac is holding Number Magnet: 2 Begottens, 3 Nulls, 2 Imps, 1 Evil Twin, 1 Black Maw, 3 Black Globin's Heads, 3 Wizoobs, 4 Soul Suckers, or 1 Bloodshot Eye may spawn.
Deals with the Devil
A Devil Room has a high chance of spawning items that will be put up for sale. Unlike Shops where Isaac pays with money, to make Deals with the Devil Isaac has to trade Red Heart Containers as payment. All items normally cost either 1 or 2 Red Heart Containers, and their prices roughly correspond to their power.
See the following item pool for a comprehensive list of items offered and their health price: Devil Room (Item Pool)
- If Isaac does not have Red Heart Containers upon entering a Devil Room, all items will cost 3 Soul Hearts.
- If Isaac is presented with 2+ items to buy, but only have enough Red Hearts to buy one, the price of the other(s) will change to 3 Soul Hearts upon spending your Red Hearts.
- Additionally, if Isaac only has one Red Heart, deals that normally cost 2 Hearts will change to one Red Heart and two Soul Hearts.
- Unlike other Deals, if Isaac does not have enough Soul Hearts for this type, he will not be able to take the Deal.
- If Isaac has less than 3 Soul Hearts, but at least one Bone Heart, he can take a three Soul Heart Deal and stay alive because of the bone hearts.
- Two-Heart Deals can be taken even if Isaac does not have enough Red Hearts to afford them, as long as he has one Red Heart to spend.
- Spending all of his Heart Containers will not kill Isaac as long as he has Soul Hearts or Black Hearts remaining.
- If taking a Deal leaves Isaac with no Red Heart Containers, he can still survive if he picks up a Soul Heart or Black Heart while holding the item in the air. Also, if he has an active item that grants Soul/Black Hearts, he can take a Deal and then use the active item, leaving him alive with whatever the item gave him.
- Some items may cost Soul Hearts even if Isaac still has Red Hearts.
- An item's price may change from Red Hearts to Soul Hearts if Isaac visited the Devil Room prior to obtaining enough Soul Hearts and returning to the Devil Room
- Refusing to make Deals with the Devil will give Isaac the chance of an Angel Room replacing the Devil Room on subsequent floors. If any Deal with the Devil is taken, Angel Rooms will not spawn for the remainder of the run.
- Only the act of paying health (Red Hearts or Soul Hearts) for an item in a Devil Room counts as a Deal with the Devil. Taking Black Hearts, opening Red Chests, and taking items that weren't paid for (such as those obtained from Red Chests, Krampus, Beggars, Pandora's Box, or made free by using Credit Card) do not count as Deals taken, allowing Isaac to still see Angel Rooms.
- Trading Heart Containers for items in a Black Market counts as taking a Deal with the Devil for Angel Room generation purposes.
- If the first offered Devil Room is not entered at all, the next offer is guaranteed to be an Angel Room.
Conditions to Make Devil Rooms Appear
There is only a 1% base chance for the Devil Room door to open. This chance can be modified in various ways:
|Blowing up at least one Shopkeeper on the current floor||+10%|
|Having Pentagram|| +20%|
|Having a second Pentagram|| +10%|
|Having Black Candle|| +30%|
|Holding Book of Revelations|| +35%|
|Blowing up at least one Beggar on the current floor||+35%|
|Taking no Red Heart damage against the boss||+35%|
|Taking no Red Heart damage for the entire floor||+99%|
|Having Act of Contrition and taking Red Heart damage||+40%|
Additional +15% is added if Red Heart damage was taken against the boss
|Having Satanic Bible Wisps||+10% up to +50%|
|Holding The Book of Belial|| +2500%|
|Having Goat Head||Guaranteed|
|Previous Devil Room door seen two floors ago||x0.5|
|Previous Devil Room door seen less than two floors ago||x0.25|
For example, if Isaac has avoided taking Red Heart damage and has blown up a Shopkeeper, he will have a (1+35+99+10)% = 145% base Deal with the Devil chance which will be displayed 100%, which will then go down to 36.25% once he sees the Devil Room.
- On XL floors, the Devil Room door can only appear after completing the second Boss Room.
- Once a Devil Room door closes for the floor, it cannot be re-opened without picking up Goat Head.
- Taking Soul Heart, Black Heart, Bone Heart, or Rotten Heart damage does not decrease the chance to open a Devil Room; only Red Hearts count.
- Taking red heart damage from a Devil Beggar, Blood Donation Machine, IV Bag, Blood Rights, or Razor Blade does not decrease the chance to open a Devil Room.
- Tainted Magdalene's leaking Red Hearts being damaged does not count as Red Heart damage, regardless of the damage source.
- Killing Devil Beggars, Shell Game Beggars, or Key Masters does not increase the chance to open the Devil Room.
- Killing a Battery Bum will increase the Devil Room chance.
- If a Devil Room door opens after a boss fight, it is recommended to go directly into the Devil Room, as the chance for the door to stay open upon leaving and re-entering the room is 1/4th of the original opening chance.
- There are additional ways to enter a Devil Room on any floor:
- Teleport!, Undefined, and Telepills cannot transport Isaac to the Devil Room.
- The Lost can take all Deals with the Devil for free.
- The Lost is allowed to choose only one of the offered Deals; the others will vanish afterward.
- The rock behind the Devil can rarely be a Tinted Rock.
- An Angel statue can rarely substitute the Satan statue and can be awoken with an explosion as usual.
- Angels spawned in this way do not drop Key Pieces, however.
- The highest possible Devil Deal chance without Goat Head is 204% 254%.
- In the original The Binding of Isaac, the Devil Rooms were somewhat less forgiving; if Isaac has an Eternal Heart, taking a Devil Deal will remove it.
- Furthermore, if Isaac has at least one Soul Heart and one Red Heart Container, and he takes a Devil Deal, Isaac would die. Isaac's last will will show a pentagram or a goat head as a result.
- Purchasing something worth two Red Heart Containers with one Red Heart Container and at least one Soul Heart will also remove all the Soul Hearts. Strangely, this will not kill Isaac, but the next damage he takes will, similarly to The Lost.
Boss Challenge Room
Super Secret Room
I AM ERROR
Ultra Secret Room
Blue Womb Entrance
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|