|This article is about the room. For the item pool, see Devil Room (Item Pool).|
Devil Rooms either contain a set of different pickups or allow Isaac to make deals with the Devil. A Devil Room has a chance to appear in a Boss Room after the boss occupying it has been defeated. If certain criteria are met, a Devil Room can be replaced by an Angel Room.
In Greed mode, Devil Rooms appear upon completing the optional 11th wave of a floor.
- 1-3 deals with the Devil
- 3 Red Chests
- 2 Black Hearts
- 2 deals with the Devil and 1 Devil Beggar
- 4 deals with the Devil
- 5 Red Chests
- 3 Devil Beggars
- 2 runes
Additionally, 2 Red Fire Places may spawn. Spikes may spawn instead of or in addition to any items/pickups.
1 Mom's Hand, 2 Nulls, or 1 Imp may also appear in the Devil Room.
Urns may spawn in the Devil Room.
1 Mom's Dead Hand may spawn in the Devil Room.
Deals with the Devil
A Devil Room has a high chance of spawning items that will be put up for sale. Unlike shops where Isaac pays with money, to make deals with the Devil Isaac has to trade Red Heart containers as payment. All items either cost 1 or 2 Red Heart containers and their prices roughly correspond to their power.
See the following item pool for a comprehensive list of items offered and their health price: Devil Room (Item Pool)
- If Isaac does not have any Red Hearts or Red Heart containers upon entering a Devil Room, all items will cost 3 Soul Hearts.
- If Isaac is presented with 2+ items to buy, but only have enough Red Hearts to buy one, the price of the other(s) will change to 3 Soul Hearts upon spending your Red Hearts.
- Additionally, if Isaac only has one Red Heart, two heart deals will change to one Red Heart and two Soul Hearts.
- Unlike other devil deals, if you do not have enough soul hearts for this type, you will not be able to take the deal.
- If Isaac has less than 3 soul hearts, but at least one bone heart, he can take a three soul heart devil deal and stay alive because of the bone hearts.
- Two heart deals can be taken even if Isaac does not have enough Red Hearts to afford them, as long as he still has one Red Heart.
- Taking a Devil deal that costs an equal or greater amount of Red Heart containers than Isaac possesses while also possessing one or more Soul Hearts or Black Hearts will leave Isaac with only those Soul Hearts or Black Hearts and will not kill him.
- If taking a deal leaves you with no Red Heart containers, you can still survive if you pick up a Soul Heart or Black Heart while Isaac is holding the item in the air. Also, if you have an active item that grants Soul Hearts, you can take a deal and then use the active item. This will give you the Soul Heart and not kill you. Demonstrated here.
- Some items may cost Soul Hearts even if Isaac still has Red Hearts.
- An item's price may change from red hearts to soul hearts if Isaac visited the Devil room prior to obtaining enough soul hearts and returning to the Devil room
- Refusing to make deals with the Devil will give Isaac the chance of an Angel Room replacing the Devil Room on subsequent floors. If any deal with the Devil is taken (including Black Market deals), Angel Rooms will not spawn for the remainder of the run.
- Only paying health (Red Hearts or Soul Hearts) for an item in a Devil Room or a Black Market counts as a deal with the Devil. Taking Black Hearts, opening Red Chests, and taking items that weren't paid for (such as Red Chests, Krampus, Beggars, Pandora's Box, and Credit Card) do not count as Devil deals, allowing Isaac to still see Angel Rooms.
- If the first offered Devil Room is not entered at all, the next offer is guaranteed to be an Angel Room.
Conditions to Make Devil Rooms Appear
There is only a 1% base chance for the Devil Room door to open. This chance can be modified in various ways:
|Blowing up one dead shopkeeper on the current floor||+10%|
|Having Pentagram|| +20%|
|Having a second Pentagram|| +10%|
|Having Black Candle|| +30%|
|Holding Book of Revelations|| +35%|
|Destroying one Beggar on the current floor||+35%|
|Taking no Red Heart damage against the boss||+35%|
|Taking no Red Heart damage for the entire floor||+99%|
|Having Act of Contrition and taking Red Heart damage||+55%
Additional +20% is added if no Red Heart damage was taken against the boss
|Holding The Book of Belial|| +2500%|
|Having Goat Head||+100%|
|Previous Devil Room door seen two floors ago||x0.5|
|Previous Devil Room door seen less than two floors ago||x0.25|
For example, if Isaac has avoided taking red heart damage and blown up a dead shopkeeper, he will have (1+35+99+10)% = 145% base deal with the devil chance which will be displayed as 100% chance, and will go down to 36.25% once he sees the devil room.
- On XL floors, the Devil Room door can only appear after completing the second Boss Room.
- Once a Devil Room door closes for the floor, it cannot be re-opened without picking up Goat Head.
- Taking soul, black, bone heart, or rotten heart damage does not decrease the chance to open a Devil Room; only Red Hearts count.
- Taking red heart damage from a Devil Beggar, Blood Donation Machine, IV Bag, Blood Rights, or Razor Blade does not decrease the chance to open a Devil Room.
- Tainted Magdalene's leaking red hearts being damaged do not decrease the chance, regardless of the damage source.
- Killing Devil Beggars, Skull Game Beggars, or Key Masters do not increase the chance to open the Devil Room.
- Killing a Battery Bum will increase the Devil Room chance.
- If a Devil Room door spawns after a boss fight, it is recommended to go directly into the Devil Room, as the chance for the door to stay open upon leaving and re-entering the room is 1/4th of the original opening chance.
There are also additional ways to enter a Devil Room on any floor:
- Teleport, Undefined, or Telepills cannot transport Isaac to the Devil Room.
- The Lost can take all Devil deals for free.
- The Lost is allowed to choose only one of the offered deals.
- The rock behind the Devil can rarely be a Tinted Rock.
- An angel statue can rarely substitute the Satan statue and can be awoken with an explosion as usual.
- Angels spawned in this way do not drop Key Pieces, however.
- Azazel - Make 3 deals with the Devil in one run.
- In the original The Binding of Isaac, the Devil Rooms were somewhat less forgiving; if Isaac has an Eternal Heart, taking a Devil Deal will remove it.
- Furthermore, if Isaac has at least one Soul Heart and one Red Heart container, and he takes a Devil deal, Isaac would die. Isaac's last will will show a Pentagram or a Goat Head as a result.
- Purchasing something worth two Red Heart containers with one Red Heart container and at least one Soul Heart will also remove all the Soul Hearts. Strangely, this will not kill Isaac, but the next damage he takes will, similarly to The Lost.
Boss Challenge Room
Super Secret Room
I AM ERROR
Ultra Secret Room
Blue Womb Entrance
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|