The debug console is accessible in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth † and The Binding of Isaac: Repentance. It is an extremely useful way to verify a particular game mechanic, explore a seed, test launch options, or test various things about the game. Or, if you are a mod developer, you can use it to quickly test various things in your mods.
The debug console is only accessible if one or more mods are enabled. If you don't have any mods to enable, download one from Steam Workshop, or simply create an empty folder in your mods directory. Note that achievements will be disabled if Mom has not been defeated on the savefile, and consequently unlocks will not happen, donation machines can't be filled nor will the item collection page record anything. While many "enable debug console" mods exist on Steam Workshop, these do not explicitly enable the console or are required to enable it. ANY mod will enable the console, regardless of what the mod is named.
The debug console is only accessible by editing
options.ini in the configuration directory and setting the
EnableDebugConsole option to
Using the Debug Console
To open the console, press the grave/tilde (
~) key while in a run, or the appropriate key according to the keyboard used, as shown below.
|English (US)||QWERTY||` (grave) or ~|
|English (UK)||QWERTY||' (apostrophe) or @|
|Portuguese||QWERTY||' or ç|
|Swiss||QWERTZ||" ] !|
To hide the console, hit
Enter without typing anything or
Pressing the up arrow key will bring up the last command used.
Pressing the down arrow key will clear the command line.
Commands are listed below in the order that they appear ingame.
spawn mega maw spawn 20 spawn 10.1 spawn 10.2.0.4
|Spawns an entity at the center of the room.
The decimal format's syntax is as follows:
WARNING: Spawning invalid entities can lead to unexpected results and can crash the game!
WARNING: Using the "spawn coplayer" command will crash the game and can sometimes corrupt save data!
goto d.10 goto s.error.21 goto 9 5 1
|Teleports Isaac to room layouts which are possible to generate in the current floor.
The first two goto formats will put Isaac in the GridRooms.ROOM_DEBUG_IDX (-1) room. Attempting to enter a room that does not exist will print the message "Error changing room." to the console.
stage 1 stage 10a stage 3b
|Teleports Isaac to another floor.
Letters appended to the stage numbers give different alternate versions, e.g. 1 for Basement, 1a for Cellar, 1b for Burning Basement, 1c for Downpour and 1d for Dross.
Letters not matching to any alternate stage are ignored.
WARNING: Entering non-existent floors can lead to unexpected results and can crash the game! E.g. floors 14 +15.
gridspawn 1000 gridspawn 1494 gridspawn 9000 gridspawn 9100 gridspawn 1000 28
|Spawns a grid entity with the given ID at a random place in the room.
The secondary argument is optional and can be used to set the grid square id where the grid entity will be spawned. The ids can be seen with the "debug 11" command.
|Enables various cheats. Click Expand to view the full details.
giveitem dr. fetus giveitem c15 giveitem Petrified Poop giveitem t15 giveitem ipec giveitem mutant sp g soy milk giveitem p0 g p22 giveitem k1 giveitem c6 g k45
|Gives items, trinkets, cards, and pills.
Ids are prefixed with c for items, t for trinkets, p for pill effects, and k for cards. Runes and other pocket items use card ids.
remove t53 remove soy milk remove cursed eye r bob's brain r experi remove *
An asterisk (*) can be input to remove one copy of all items and trinkets from Isaac.
costumetest costumetest 33
|Gives Isaac a random amount of random costumes, without having the associated items.
A number can be provided to gain a specific amount of random costumes.
achievement 300 achievement meconium achievement *
|Unlocks the achievement of the specified id.
WARNING: This CANNOT be undone, and will unlock steam achievements!
|Prints the total amount of time passed on the run (based on "game" frames / the in-game timer).|
restart restart 6
|Resets the game back to the beginning of a new run.
A number can be provided to start a new run as a specific character.
WARNING: Starting a run as an invalid character can lead to unexpected results and can crash the game! List of valid characters:
|Prints to the console a list of all items in Isaac's possession, and how many of each.|
spawn 10 repeat 50 giveitem meat! repeat 100 repeat 100
|Repeats the last given command a number of times. Caps at 10000 repeats.|
|Removes all easter egg effects from the current run.|
seed GGGG GGGG seed T1MM AY48
|Starts a new run with the inputted seed.|
|Starts a new run on a random seed on the given challenge id.
0 will start a run without any challenge active.
WARNING: Starting a run in an invalid challenge will crash the game!
|Gives you an amount of random items from a specified item pool.
The decimal format's syntax is as follows:
[itempool #].[number of random items]
|Plays the specified cutscene.|
|Unknown. Possibly related to player cache flags.|
macro mom macro momh macro hush macro bigchest macro hud macro fc macro ms macro mss macro ug macro ugg macro qk
|Triggers a set of commands. Click Expand to view the full details.
stage 6 g Bible g k5 debug 3 debug 4
stage 8 g Bible g k5 debug 3 debug 4
stage 9 g k5 combo 0.8 combo 2.8 combo 1.3 combo 4.3
stage 10a g Polaroid g Negative debug 3 debug 4 g Mutant g Soy giveitem Belt repeat 5 giveitem Lord of the Pit debug 10 g k5
giveitem Dead Cat repeat 2 giveitem Guppy's Collar giveitem MEAT! repeat 12 giveitem Compass giveitem Blue Map giveitem Treasure Map giveitem Baggy giveitem p2 giveitem p3 giveitem Purse giveitem Paper Clip giveitem Petrified giveitem My Little Unicorn
debug 3 debug 8 debug 9 giveitem Soy giveitem Bar giveitem Pad
goto s.boss.5000 giveitem Soy giveitem Mutant debug 3 debug 4
stage 11a goto s.boss.6000
stage 11a goto s.boss.6000 giveitem Sad Onion giveitem Sad Onion giveitem Torn giveitem Torn giveitem Mutant giveitem Pentagram giveitem A Dollar giveitem Pyro debug 3
giveitem Belt repeat 5 giveitem Lord of the Pit giveitem Treasure Map giveitem Blue Map giveitem Compass giveitem Black Candle giveitem X-Ray giveitem We Need to Go Deeper debug 8 giveitem Dollar giveitem Pyro giveitem Skeleton Key debug 3 debug 10
playsfx 1 playsfx 1 0.5
|Plays the specified sound effect id. Pitch can be specified in the second argument.|
|Used to log some information to csv file in the working directory (game folder by default). Doesn't work anymore.|
|Stops csv file logging, doesn't work anymore.|
curse 2 curse 16 curse 127
|Sets a value corresponding to the sum of the desired curses.
|Generates a new layout for the current floor with a new floor seed.|
|Unlocks all Easter Eggs in the menu.
WARNING: This CANNOT be undone!
|Copies a specified amount of previous console commands to your clipboard.
The commands can be pasted into a text editor and/or into the game again, triggering the commands which have been copied.
luarun /full_path/hello.lua luarun relative_path/hello.lua
|Takes a path to a lua file and runs it immediately. Paths are relative to the folder where the game is installed.|
|Reports memory usage for Lua.|
|Takes a mod folder name and runs the main.lua for it. This can be used to reload a mod without relaunching the game.|
|Reloads the graphical shaders. (Has no discernible in-game effect.)|
lua print("Hello World!") l for _,v in pairs(Isaac.GetRoomEntities()) do if v.MaxHitPoints > 0 then print(v.HitPoints.."/"..v.MaxHitPoints) end end
|Directly runs a line of Lua code.
The first example simply prints "Hello World!" to the console, while the second prints the current HP and max HP of every entity that has hitpoints. There are also further Lua debug snippets leveraging the Modding API to find out information about otherwise hidden details.
|Clears the console. Useful for video recording purposes or if you want to dispose of incriminating evidence.|
|This guarantees the next item chosen when using Metronome (for debugging purposes).|
|This guarantees the next boss chosen when using Delirious (for debugging purposes).|
|Reloads the floor effects layer (overlays).|
These commands do not appear in the console but can still be used.
|Restocks all shops.|
giveitem2 c105 g2 ipecac
|Same as giveitem but for a secondary character such as Esau.|
remove2 c1 r2 soy milk
|Same as remove but for a secondary character such as Esau.|
|Allows to set any room as "forced room". Said room gets weight of 1000, making it easier for it to appear on floor with |
addplayer 1 addplayer 6 1
|Spawns a new player entity (Isaac by default) with controls set to id 0 by default. You can specify player type and controller id in the command. If the player type is -1, the game will instead assign control to a random enemy in the room, similarly to the Friend Finder item.|
|Makes the game forget about the changes in current room and teleports Isaac back to previous room. Can be used to fix desynchronization issues if you use this command in a room where it happened. (Glowing Hourglass-like effect)|
|Prints a list of boss names and percentage chance (100%=10000) for current floor.|
netstart <steam_user_id1> <steam_user_id2> <steam_user_id3>
|Connects player(s) with specified Steam ID to your game (online multiplayer). Allows up to 4 players. You can also use aliases if you add them in steamids.txt file in your local savedata (where options.ini is stored) folder in following format:|
alias id alias id alias id (...)
You and all other players should have Repentance opened (with --networktest parameter specified when launching the game). Can be unstable at times, so be careful.
|Changes network delay to a specified value. Can be useful if you see stutters during online gameplay.|
|Reloads wisps spawned by Book of Virtues and locusts spawned by Abyss.|
|prof||Used to start profiling and write data to a table file in the working directory (game files location). Was removed because of sandbox security concerns.|
|profstop||Used to stop profiling. Was removed because of sandbox security concerns.|
delirious command uses the following ID mapping:
|11||The Duke of Flies|
|31||Mask of Infamy|
|35||Daddy Long Legs|
- In Repentance, going to non-standard stages will crash the game.
- In Afterbirth+, going to non-standard stages will crash the game, with the exception of stage 13. It consists of 2x1 vertical rooms that have doors that only sometimes close, minimal enemies (usually a few of the same type), and uses Caves background. The music is a single layer of either the ???, Cellar, Basement or the Burning Basement music, and only plays when enemies are in the room. The boss is always The Duke of Flies, and no trapdoor or items spawn when the boss is defeated.
- Stage 13a is the same, but with Depths background. The boss is always Monstro II.
- Stage 13b is the same, but with Womb background. The boss is always The Duke of Flies.
- The enemy spawn patterns are the same as the waves in Greed mode, suggesting that this stage is used to store the waves in the game.
- The name display while holding Tab on PC/Back on Xbox 360/Touchpad or L2 on PS4/Minus on Switch will show up their respective overlay's stage name, but without the I or II, e.g. Normally it's Caves II, but in this stage is referred to only Caves, just like Cathedral, Sheol, ???, Chest, Dark Room and The Void, i.e Chapters 4.5 and above.
- Entering "stage 8" in Greed or Greedier mode will grant access to The Void. The rooms have random backdrops and the music is the same as The Void in regular mode, but the boss is Ultra Greed and will drop the Final Boss Chest. Entering The Chest will play the final ending instead of ending 18 or 19.
- In Greed/Greedier Mode, there are odd, secret additional stages that have Stage IDs further than 8, and are variants of existing floors. They are based off the new Repentance path's floors. Stage 8 in Greed/Greedier mode is a blank floor with no walls and music, stage 9 is the Ultra Greed floor but with ???'s doors, stage 10 is the Ultra Greed floor but with a sick-green and cleaner version of Dross, stage 11 is the Ultra Greed floor with the backdrop of Mausoleum.
- Any further values will crash the game.
- Entering Stage 5a will make Sheol have light coming from above, and 5b can make Sheol's walls a little bit brighter, or be the same as Stage 5.
- Stage 6b and 7b will give The Shop/ Ultra Greed a warmer color. Stage 6c and 7c will give The Shop/ Ultra Greed a blue tint.
- Stage 8a is the same stage 8, but can have the flooring of the Basement.
- Stage 8b can be the same 7b, and can sometimes come with no music.
- Stage 9a is a very strange version of the Ultra Greed floor. It has a random backdrop and the music of The Void, but it has the doors of ???. The Final Boss Chest will play ending 20 instead of Ending 18 or 19.
- Stage 9b is a brownish version of Downpour. It still has the doors of ???.
- Stage 10a has the backdrop of Mines.
- Stage 10b has a reddish version of Ashpit.
- stage 11a has the backdrop of Gehenna.
- and stage 11b has a reddish version of Corpse.
- Attempting to give yourself all the items using "giveitem *" will print the message "What are you trying to do?" to the console and will give nothing.
- Monster champion types go up to 48590, with anything beyond the 24 used types resulting in a monster that has double (maximum) HP, no other special abilities and often exotic color palettes not normally seen. Any higher will crash the game.
- Champions types above the 26 defined ones are mostly invisible and have no clear upper number, but may cause a crash at any time.
|Bug!||If a champion is spawned via the "spawn" command, it will have the same amount of health as the non-champion version of that monster, unless the spawned champion variant has decreased amount of health.|
|Bug!||If the player has debug 10 enabled and starts the sequence to begin the Dogma fight, Dogma will instantly die without continuing the sequence, softlocking Isaac in the room without returning control to the player. This is fixed after exiting and continuing the game.|
|Bug!||Using the "rewind" command removes all broken hearts on The Soul if there are any.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
Collection • Item Pools • Version History • Modding • Music