Dead Cat is a passive item.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Sets Isaac's Red Heart containers to 1.
- Grants 9 extra lives.
- Upon death, Isaac respawns with 1 Red Heart container.
- The head of Guppy begins following Isaac like a familiar upon pickup but doesn't do anything.
- When Isaac has lost all of the lives provided by this item, the dead cat familiar will disappear.
- This item belongs to the Guppy set. Collecting three items from this set will transform Isaac into Guppy.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Resurrection takes priority over all other items besides Lazarus' Rags, and 1up!.
- Picking this up as ??? will set his health to 1 Soul Heart.
- Picking this up as Tainted Judas will set his health to 1 Black Heart.
- Picking this up as Tainted Bethany will set her soul to 1 Soul Heart.
- Picking this up as The Lost would not show the number of remaining lives, but will still function.
- The number of remaining lives is shown unless Curse of the Unknown is in effect.
- Picking this up as Keeper will reduce his total number of health coins down to one, meaning he will die upon taking any damage. A Health Up item will restore the lost health coin.
- Picking this up as the The Forgotten has a different effect depending on which form he is in. Picking it up in skeletal form will reduce bone hearts to 1 and will not affect The Soul while picking it up as The Soul will reduce Soul Hearts to 1 and will not affect the skeletal form.
- Taking Dead Cat through a deal with the Devil while at one heart will still leave Isaac with one heart.
- The lives are added after the "picking up an item" animation has ended, so characters that die while the animation is playing will not be revived by this item.
- The effects of the D4, D100, Missing No., or 1- or 6-Pip Dice Room will not remove the lives granted by this item.
- Deaths do not count towards the statistics if Isaac still has extra lives.
- Additional Dead Cats can be picked up during a run, increasing lives well past 9. Only the first dead cat counts toward becoming Guppy.
- Picking up Dead Cat when the player has 0 Red Heart containers and greater than 11 Soul Hearts can cause the player to go over the normal 12 cap by up to 1 heart temporarily.
- This item counts as 9 items, so if the player is game on trying for an early portal to The Void after beating Mom, this will significantly boost the progress closer to 20 items.
- During The Beast fight losing a life will not spawn isaac at the beginning of the room, he will instead respawn after a brief instant without losing progress.
- If Jacob and Esau take the item, only the character who takes it will be set to one heart container on pickup. But if they die, both are resurrected with one heart container.
- Dead Cat cannot appear in game while playing as Tainted Lost.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- Diplopia: Isaac gains 18 extra lives in total.
- Gold Hearts: Gives Isaac many coins when picked up, due to the amount of hearts lost.
- Suicide King: Allows Isaac to safely use the Suicide King to generate pickups and items.
- Suicide King + Blank Card: Allows Isaac to repeatedly use the Suicide King.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The 9 lives gained by the item is a reference to a myth that cats have 9 lives.
- The Dead Cat shares the same tuxedo type bicolor fur with Guppy.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
2 Dead Cat heads around Magdalene.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
PC R96W PFVJ (Dead Cat, Guppy's Head, and Guppy's Collar all on the first floor in the Curse Room)
PC G6GE 0GFV (Curse Room adjacent to spawn, found in Red Chest along with Guppy's Paw)
PS4 Vita G6GE 0GFV (Curse Room adjacent to spawn, found in Red Chest along with Guppy's Paw)
Switch MW2N WAJC (Curse Room adjacent to spawn, found in Red Chest)
Switch KEBM C08G (Second floor Devil Room)
- Dead Cat
- Guppy's Collar
- Guppy's Eye
- Guppy's Hair Ball
- Guppy's Head
- Guppy's Paw
- Guppy's Tail
- Kid's Drawing
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|