Raise a Floppa - The Loop
Do you like this video?
Dead Cat is a passive item.
- Sets Isaac's Red Heart containers to 1.
- Grants 9 extra lives.
- Upon death:
- Isaac respawns in the previous room with 1 Red Heart container.
- Any active items in Isaac's possession will lose all its charges.
- The head of Guppy begins following Isaac like a familiar upon pickup but doesn't do anything.
- When Isaac has lost all of the lives provided by this item, the Guppy familiar will disappear.
- This item belongs to the Guppy set. Collecting three items from this set will transform Isaac into Guppy.
- In the context of a Devil Room:
- Taking Dead Cat with 1 or 2 Heart Containers won't kill Isaac because it will set his number of Heart Containers to 1 immediately, saving him from the death that would have resulted from having no Heart Containers. Buying Dead Cat when at 1 Heart Container essentially obtains the item for free.
- Other Devil Room items can be bought without the necessary number of Heart Containers at the cost of one of the many lives Dead Cat provides.
- To take multiple Devil Deals, buy a Devil deal item then quickly leave the room before the "item get" animation finishes. This will result in Dead Cat reviving Isaac back inside the Devil Room.
- Taking Dead Cat as Keeper or Tainted Keeper will reduce their total number of Coin Hearts to one, meaning they will die upon taking any damage at all. Unless either of them have immediate access to an HP Up item, taking Dead Cat is usually detrimental.
- Holding onto a XIX - The Sun? can be beneficial if at high HP. Using it prior to taking Dead Cat will convert all red heart containers to Bone Hearts for the floor. The bone hearts do not disappear when taking Dead Cat and will all revert back to normal red-heart containers on the next floor (and stay filled if the bone hearts were filled).
- This item can drop from Super Pride.
- Resurrection items activate in a set order. Dead Cat is 2nd / 4th in this order after Soul of Lazarus, 1up!, and Lazarus' inherent extra life.
- Picking this up as The Lost would not show the number of remaining lives, but will still function.
- If picked up as The Forgotten, his Bone Hearts are reduced to 1 but The Soul's Soul Hearts remain unaffected. The reverse is also true.
- The lives are added after the "picking up an item" animation has ended, so characters that die while the animation is playing will not be revived by this item.
- The effects of the D4, D100, Missing No., or a 1- or 6-pip Dice Room will not remove the lives granted by this item.
- Additional Dead Cats can be picked up during a run, increasing lives well past 9. Only the first dead cat counts toward becoming Guppy.
- This item counts as 9 items, so if Isaac is trying for an early portal to The Void after beating Mom, this will significantly boost the progress closer to 20 items.
- If Jacob and Esau take the item, only the brother who takes it will be set to one Red Heart Container on pickup. But if they die, both are resurrected with one Red Heart Container.
- If Tainted Jacob takes this item after being touched by Dark Esau, he will return to his previous Red Heart total upon reaching the next floor.
- Dying as Tainted Jacob after being touched by Dark Esau and carrying this item will respawn him in the previous room in his lost form. Making it to the next floor will still return him to his previous Red Heart total.
- During the The Beast sequence, Isaac is respawned on the spot upon death, as opposed to doing so in a previous room.
- Diplopia: Isaac gains 18 extra lives in total.
- Gold Hearts: Gives Isaac many coins when picked up, due to the amount of hearts lost.
- The 9 lives gained by the item is a reference to a myth that cats have 9 lives.
- The item Guppy's Tail and the transformation Guppy implies that Guppy has a white fur on it's tip of the tail while the sprite for Dead Cat does not.
- The Dead Cat shares the same tuxedo type bicolor fur with Guppy.
- Despite not having Guppy in its name, this item counts for the Guppy transformation which may imply that Dead Cat is Guppy, or at least was what Guppy looked like at some point.
Switch MW2N WAJC ( Curse Room adjacent to spawn, found in Red Chest)
Switch KEBM C08G (Second floor Devil Room)
|Bug!||If picked up as ???, Dark Judas, Tainted Judas, Tainted ???, Tainted Forgotten, or Tainted Bethany while in possession of Bone Hearts, the health bar may become glitched. The actual health amount is correctly set to 1 Soul Heart / Black Heart + all Bone Hearts, but some of the Bone Hearts are incorrectly displayed as half Soul Hearts depending on the situation before picking up Dead Cat. The glitch is only cosmetic and will resolve itself after taking damage, picking up health or touching an item.|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
Collection • Item Pools • Version History • Modding • Music