The Dark Room is one of five final levels in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, alongside the Chest, The Void, the Corpse, and Home. The Dark Room is unlocked by defeating Satan 5 times, after which it can be accessed by touching the chest dropped by Satan with The Negative equipped. Entrance to the Dark Room can also be achieved via the I AM ERROR room in Sheol, even without The Negative, as well as through the Black Market in Sheol, and through a trapdoor spawned by a button. After completing this level or the Chest for the first time, the Dark Room will always contain a large golden door in the first room, which can be unlocked with either the Key Pieces (combination of Key Piece 1 and Key Piece 2), Dad's Key, Get out of Jail Free Card, or Mr. ME!.
The Dark Room can also be accessed by repeatedly using a Sacrifice Room. After using the spikes for the 12th time, continuing to use the Sacrifice Room will have a 50% chance to teleport Isaac directly to the Dark Room, regardless of what floor he was previously on.
The Dark Room is home to the Grave Room, which will contain a Dirt Patch, which can be dug up using Mom's Shovel. Doing so for the first time will unlock The Forgotten. On subsequent runs, multiple Dirt Patches can be found, and digging them up using We Need to Go Deeper!, Rune of Ehwaz, or Mom's Shovel will spawn a random type of chest.
Like Sheol before it, the Dark Room consists of only one floor. In the Dark Room, it is not possible to bomb doors open to skip rooms. The Dark Room's rooms are mainly filled with bosses and mini-bosses. The boss of the floor is always The Lamb.
The first room the player spawn in will automatically contain 4 Red Chests that function normally or contain random Devil Deals. Rerolling these items will produce new items that are from the Treasure Room item pool. As well, all other types of chests spawned in the Dark Room will always contain Treasure Room items. Destroying Slot Machines, Fortune Telling Machines, and all types of Beggars with the exception of Shell Game will also spawn items.
||227.0||Wanders around the room and throws a bone at Isaac when he is in sight.|
||212.0||Invulnerable enemy that moves diagonally around the room, dealing contact damage. Dies when the room is cleared.|
||77.0||Aimlessly hops around the room, dealing contact damage.|
||53.1||Mirrors Isaac's movements and fires three spread blood shots at the same time as Isaac. Can fly over obstacles.|
||252.0||Walks towards Isaac, dealing contact damage. Upon getting near Isaac, it will open its eyes, though its speed doesn't change. Fades into and out of visibility.|
||251.0||Starts attached to the wall or an obstacle. After a while, it detaches, firing 6 blood shots in all directions, turning the room dark, becoming invisible and chasing Isaac. Briefly becomes visible upon getting hit.|
||237.0||Charges towards Isaac when he lines up with them, leaving a trail of Red Creep and shooting 6 blood shots.|
||283.0||Moves erratically around the room, charges toward Isaac when in line of sight, and leaves behind a short-lasting trail of damaging Red Creep. Can only be damaged from behind.|
||55.1||Quickly charges towards Isaac when he gets in its line of sight. Explodes upon death.|
||225.0||When Isaac lines up with it horizontally, it charges in his direction and then doubles back, charging back to its original position. When Isaac is not horizontal to it, it spawns Leeches. Explodes when it dies.|
||91.0||Slowly floats around the room, spawning several Attack Flies. Spawns Pooters upon taking damage. Spawns a Boom Fly upon death.|
||230.0||Moves around the room diagonally, occasionally firing Technology lasers towards Isaac. Fires more often upon getting damaged.|
||219.0||Disappears, then appears near Isaac and spits a cluster of spectral tears at him.|
||260.0||Floats toward Isaac and occasionally fires a blood shot at him, predicting his movements.|
||259.0||Slowly drifts towards Isaac, frequently firing 5 blood shots in quick succession towards him. Tries to avoid Isaac's shots and occasionally teleports and reappears elsewhere.|
||277.0||Wanders around the room and throws three bones in a row at Isaac when he is in sight. Explodes upon death.|
||278.0||Chases Isaac, dealing a full heart of contact damage and launching Spiders towards Isaac whenever it takes damage. Spawns a Spider, a Black Globin's Head, and a Black Globin's Body upon death.|
|Dank Death's Head
||212.1||Moves diagonally around the room, dealing contact damage. Needs to be killed to complete the room.|
|Flesh Death's Head
||286.0||Moves diagonally around the room, dealing contact damage. Releases 6 blood shots in all directions upon death. Can be killed, but also dies when the room is cleared.|
|Scarred Double Vis
||39.3||Randomly wanders around the room. Pauses to charge and fire a Brimstone laser which fires from all four cardinal sides when Isaac gets in its line of sight.|
||285.0||Disappears, then reappears near Isaac and fires a brimstone laser.|
||61.3||Flies slowly towards Isaac. Spawns a vortex that fires four Brimstone beams in the cardinal directions upon death.|
||38.3||Dashes towards Isaac at high speed and fires three blood shots in his direction once stopped.|
||888.0||Walks slowly toward Isaac, occasionally firing a shot that creates shots perpendicular to itself while traveling and splits into a ring of shots upon hitting a wall or obstacle. Also occasionally jumps, creating lines of explosions in the cardinal directions. One of the few enemies that utilize Damage Scaling.|
||869.0||Crawls around the room erratically, following Isaac and dealing contact damage. Can jump small distances. Releases multiple Troll Bombs upon death.|
||74.0||Medium- and large-form only|
|Daddy Long Legs
|The Headless Horseman
|Mask of Infamy
||71.1||Medium- and large-form only|
|The Lamb||Mega Satan|
- If Isaac gets Key Piece 1 and Key Piece 2, the key will open the golden gate to fight Mega Satan, but if Isaac uses Forget Me Now, the floor will reset and Isaac won't get both Key Pieces back, making it so that the golden gate won't open again.
- When playing as The Lost or Tainted Lost, it is advised to open all the devil deal chests in the starting room, as only one of the four items can be taken and all the other chests will disappear.
- The I AM ERROR room cannot be reached by any method in Chest and the Dark Room.
- Dead Boy - Complete Chapter 6 without taking damage.
- The Dark Room is the only floor in the game which is original to the initial release of Rebirth. All the other floors included in Rebirth at its launch were from the original The Binding of Isaac and its DLC Wrath of the Lamb.
- The Dark Room is also the name of a room which, like its name suggests, is plunged into complete darkness, for the notable purpose of processing photos. The fact that access to this floor is granted by touching the chest in Sheol while holding The Negative, which is the name given to a photo that has not been processed yet and whose colors and hues are inverted, might be a nod to this.
- The layout to The Chest and the Dark Room are identical for a given seed.
- One of the Super Secret Room layouts is of the Dark Room and a Black Heart. The sprite for the door is a portal rather than a gray door, however, since bombed-out entrances in the Dark Room appear as portals.
- This secret room appears floating in a black void on most floors, but in the Dark Room, it appears in a purple misty void instead, just like all the other rooms.
- One possible room in the Dark Room contains only a Bony and a Lil' Haunt. These possibly represent The Forgotten and The Soul.
- On the 6/2/2021 Kickstarter livestream, Edmund McMillen confirmed that the Dark Room represents the closet that Isaac was locked inside in Ending 21.
- The theme of Dark Room (Devoid), is noticeably shorter than other floor themed soundtracks. This is because a floor theme is comprised of 2 parts. the 1st part is the normal theme, and the 2nd part is for the more intense version of the track when an enemy room with a combined high health count is entered. There is no "Intense" theme for when a high health room in Dark Room is entered. The Cathedral's theme (Everlasting Hymn) is also shorter than other tracks, but does have a barely noticeable secondary intense part of the track.
The music for the Dark Room is titled Devoid, which means “empty”.
|Chapter 1||Chapter 2||Chapter 3||Chapter 4||Optional||Chapter 5||Chapter 6||Endgame|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
Collection • Item Pools • Version History • Modding • Music