You play as Tainted Cain, but instead of crafting items from pickups, all pills and tarot cards are replaced with a unique card pickup that gives you a one room or one time (if the item is an Active Item) use of different items. All boss rewards are changed to Starter Deck, increasing the item cards limit by 1, and dropping 3 item cards.
Cain starts with 3 held item cards.
- Each enemy has a chance to drop an item card after death. This can be used to farm item cards with enemies which can spawn other enemies.
- Some bonuses from items will remain after leaving the room. Therefore using them has a big influence on the run. This includes:
- Pickups and health ups.
- Mapping effects, such as The Compass. This only lasts for the current floor.
- Cube of Meat and damage gained from using Potato Peeler.
- Stat changes from Dataminer, Experimental Treatment, Consolation Prize and D8.
- Wisps added by Book of Virtues, which remain until destroyed.
- Familiars spawned by Monster Manual lasts for the current floor.
- The damage bonus from Red Stew.
- Although there are no treasure rooms, shops don't sell items, and bosses do not drop standard boss items, gaining items in other ways is still possible. You won't lose those items after leaving the room. These ways include but are not limited to:
- Item cards act like pickups and can be manipulated as such (e.g. duplicated with Rune of Jera).
- As in many challenges, Golden Bombs offer an alternate and powerful way to fight, allowing to pass floors easily.
- Using Mama Mega! in a room will still activate it on every room in the floor, making getting through the rest of the floor trivial.
- Holding onto The Bible or Plan C enables the player to instantly kill Mom. This can bypass the need to store several powerful items for the final fight.
- The player can use a Forget Me Now in order to gain another Starter Deck, and thus carry more items.
- Exiting a room with Epiphora will make the fire rate increase permanent until Isaac’s tear delay changes.
- Almost all rooms drop an item card when cleared.
- Active items that grant an effect upon obtaining them, such as Sharp Key and Remote Detonator, will not grant that effect.
- Battery Pack creates multiple item cards instead of batteries.
- Butter! has no effect upon activated items used from the bag.
- Collecting Rock Bottom will not bypass the loss of any items (or Rock Bottom itself) from disappearing in the next room.
- Diplopia will not duplicate Starter Deck, it will only create an item card.
- If an item pedestal would have spawned, an item card will spawn instead. This applies to:
- Items for sale in Devil Rooms will be replaced with item cards which are surrounded by spikes like consumables in shops affected by A Pound of Flesh.
- Items in the Shop are transformed into item cards and can be bought for 5 coins.
- Items that would generate Cards such as Booster Pack will generate item cards instead.
- The same item can be encountered more than once and it is possible to have several copies of an item inside the bag.
- Any familiars spawned with Cambion Conception or Immaculate Conception will be removed at the end of the floor.
- The name of this challenge is a reference to the Magic: the Gathering term "cantrip", meaning a card that draws another card.
- The item cards in this challenge resemble the treasure cards from The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls.
An item card as seen in Basement.
|1. Pitch Black||2. High Brow||3. Head Trauma||4. Darkness Falls||5. The Tank|
|6. Solar System||7. Suicide King||8. Cat Got Your Tongue||9. Demo Man||10. Cursed!|
|11. Glass Cannon||12. When Life Gives You Lemons||13. Beans!||14. It's in the Cards||15. Slow Roll|
|16. Computer Savvy||17. Waka Waka||18. The Host||19. The Family Man||20. Purist|
|21. XXXXXXXXL||22. SPEED!||23. Blue Bomber||24. PAY TO PLAY||25. Have a Heart|
|26. I RULE!||27. BRAINS!||28. PRIDE DAY!||29. Onan's Streak||30. The Guardian|
|31. Backasswards||32. Aprils Fool||33. Pokey Mans||34. Ultra Hard||35. Pong|
|36. Scat Man||37. Bloody Mary||38. Baptism by Fire||39. Isaac's Awakening||40. Seeing Double|
|41. Pica Run||42. Hot Potato||43. Cantripped!||44. Red Redemption||45. DELETE THIS|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|