Brittle Bones is an unlockable passive item added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †.
- Grants 6 empty Bone Hearts.
- Removes all Red Heart containers. Does not remove existing Bone Hearts, but does empty them.
- Upon losing a Bone Heart, including ones acquired from other sources, Isaac fires a ring of 8 bones that split into more bones and permanently gains a +0.5 tears up.
- Each bone does twice Isaac's damage plus a flat 22 damage; split bones do half this amount.
- Picking this item up as The Lost or Keeper will give a one-time +0.5 tears up ( +0.4). This bonus is retained even if the item is later lost or rerolled.
- Keeper will also gain 24 Blue Flies.
- The tears up bonuses gained through this item will persist in the escape sequence of Mines II.
- Losing Bone Hearts through a Devil Deal will not give the tears up effect.
- If Brittle Bones is removed (such as with Tainted Isaac), existing tear upgrades will not be removed.
- Genesis will remove the tear upgrades upon use.
- Empty Vessel: The empty Bone Hearts will trigger Empty Vessel's effects.
- Brittle Bones has been added in Booster Pack #5, after the initial release of the DLC.
- "Everything hurts" may be a reference to Melting from Nuclear Throne.
Concept art for Brittle Bones on the left side, along with other Booster Pack items and trinkets, by Edmund McMillen.
||For some players, when picking up Brittle Bones as the Keeper, he will instantly die and spawn lots of Blue flies.