Book of the Dead
Book of the Dead is an unlockable active item added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- When used, spawns one of the following for each enemy already killed in the current room:
- This item belongs to the Bookworm set. Collecting three items from this set will transform Isaac into Bookworm.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Orbital bones deal contact damage equal to Isaac's damage at the time it was spawned and repel enemies that touch them.
- They block 3 shots or deal 2 ticks of contact damage before being destroyed.
- Bonies deal 8.3 contact damage and 5 damage with thrown bones.
- Black Bonies will explode on death, dealing 40 damage to enemies it hits. The explosion will not hurt Isaac, but will knock him back.
- Black bony's death explosion no longer knocks back Isaac.
- Internally, the Book tracks each position an enemy was killed in the current room, and uses those locations as spawn points for bone orbitals and Bonies; using the book gives a **high probability** for each location to give one of them.
- If one of these locations doesn't give a bone orbital or bony, it can still give one if the book is used in the same room without leaving. However, once a location gives something, it cannot do so again.
- Using the book in a room that had no enemies or was re-entered does nothing and expends the charge.
- Orbital bones occupy the same area around Isaac as Blue Flies, meaning Isaac can have an incredibly dense ring of bone orbitals around him that nullifies most attacks.
- Having a large amount of blue flies can create gaps in the ring of bone orbitals that leave Isaac vulnerable in those spots.
- Friendly monsters killed in the current room can also be used by Book of the Dead.
- Destroying black poop will damage the friendly Bonies acquired from this item.
- The nature of this item makes it fairly useful in Greed mode/Greedier mode.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Baby-Bender: No effect.
- Car Battery: Since dead enemies can be animated only once, Car Battery does nothing.
- Contagion: Poison effect can spread to and kill friendly Bonies.
- Duct Tape: Only affects orbitals.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Mystery Egg - Spawn three charmed enemies in the same room.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
PC 37NG LGBJ (Tresure Room south of spawn)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Book of the Dead has been added in Booster Pack #5, after the initial release of the DLC.
- The Book of the Dead is a collection of ancient Egyptian funerary texts made out of papyrus, consisting of magic spells intended to assist a soul's journey through the Duat (underworld) and into the afterlife.
- The quote "Rise from the Grave" is a reference to the beginning screen of the video game Altered Beast.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|Bug!||If sufficiently many bone orbitals are created, other familiars may disappear. Collecting a new familiar or resuming the run will restore the missing familiars.|
|The Forgotten Unlocks|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|